keeping the sail on the mast

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

keeping the sail on the mast

Postby Leob1 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:46 pm

Greetings Fellows,
I have a new to me Daysailer, have been making some of the minor repairs, practicing stepping and unstepping the mast, etc. Got it ready, got to the lake, stepped the mast, put the sails on. The jib no problem. The main was another issue. The plastic bullet shaped things(sorry forget the name) fell out of the slot in the mast when the sail wasn't raised. So when it was time to raise the sail on the water, it was difficult to put them back in, while pulling the halyard.
Is there a way I can keep the sail attached to the mast when it isn't raised?

Thanks
Leob1

Re: keeping the sail on the mast

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:26 pm

I believe you may be referring to the sail slugs.

Search this forum for mast gates - those are the devices that will do what you want. There've been previous discussions on them.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:07 pm

You could get one of these slug stops (actually get several, as they have a tendency to go overboard, unless you figure a way to tether it to the mast):

http://www.drmarine.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DR20%2D90

You feed the slugs into the slot, then put in the stop under the bottom slug.

Or as GL says, you could get a mast gate. The DS mast uses an external gate:

http://www.mastgates.com/
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby Leob1 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:46 pm

You guys are awesome!
Thank You!
Leob1

Postby fatjackdurham » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:11 am

Or, you can drill a small hole across the slot in the mast and stick a cotter pin or some other pin through. That was how it was done on my Mariner.
fatjackdurham

Postby carl10579 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:08 pm

Hey the mastgates look awesome. I don't need one for the daysailer (rope) but the Aquarius 23 would love one!
carl10579

Postby TIM WEBB » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:55 pm

I had an external gate on the DS, since there is not enough room in the DS mast extrusion slot for an internal gate, and recently put an internal gate on my Spindrift 22. Your Aquarius 23 may have the room in the extrusion slot for an internal gate. As to ease of use, I find the internal gate *slightly* easier.
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Return to Day Sailer II Only