Daysailer capacity

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Daysailer capacity

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 20, 2002 8:41 pm

Can anyone give me the capacities of the DSII, i.e., # of persons, total weight capacity, persons weight capacity, etc?

Jeff Geiser (southside4-at-earthlink.net)

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 29, 2002 12:09 pm

In the sales brochures O'Day lists seating as 6 persons. The DS II, being a sailboat, was not required to have a "Capacity Plate" posted. To get a rough estimate of boat capacity, I would use Length X Beam divided by 15 = number of persons. For the DS II that is 16.75 X 6.25 = 104.6875 divided by 15 = 6.9792
so 7 persons might be OK. However, these numbers are for "Ideal Conditions" only, and so you may wish to carry less depending on the weather. I have had 3 people on my DS II several times, I would think that 4 would be very comfortable, more may get a bit crowded.

Rod Johnson, "SUNBIRD" (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 31, 2002 6:45 am

I once had 4 adults and a small child on my old DSII and was comfortable on the lake I sail on. And I am 6 foot tall and over 200 lbs. (I won't say how much over.) We were out on a day with winds 10-15kts, and a small chop from all the powerboats out. With the extra weight on the lee side you need to keep a hand on the main sheet in case of sudden gusts. At that point we probably could have handled another small child or two comfortably, but any more adults probably would have made it too crowded.

J.P. Clowes (jpclowes-at-hotmail.com)

Return to Day Sailer II Only