Help Identify this Model of Daysailer?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Help Identify this Model of Daysailer?

Postby Lil Maggie » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:16 am

AndyKatonahNY wrote:Thanks Mike, I'm exploring every option and not ruling out having a go at the repair. Why do DSI's not sit well at a mooring without a boom tent? Do they not self bail, do you mean?

That is correct, they do not self-bail, but the boom tent does a great job keeping out the rain, and, unless your CB gasket is old and cracked, they don't leak much either.

Was it a crack around the cuddy mast thru-deck hole also? That repair would be pretty easy to do anyway...

M
A crappy day sailing is better than a good one at home...
DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

Postby AndyKatonahNY » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:49 am

If I understand you correctly, from what I have seen so far, the compression post moved laterally to port and tore up the floor/deck of the cuddy. Haven't inspected below the floor yet to see what's going on beneath the floor/Deck but will see that end of next week when I go to NH where boat is at storage.
AndyKatonahNY

Postby GreenLake » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:04 pm

Best scenario might be that the compression post just jumped off the mast support, in which case all you'd need to do on that score is find a way to prevent that in the future. Looking forward to your full report.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby AndyKatonahNY » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:10 pm

Will post pics and better description as soon as I have it next week, thanks so much for the interest and support. Learning so much...
AndyKatonahNY

Postby GreenLake » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:19 pm

Your totally welcome.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby carl10579 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:08 am

That damage is from too much slack in the stays? Jeez, it must have been pretty windy that day!.

It's not as bad as it looks.

That repair should be a piece of cake. Everything you need, tools included can be purchased at wallmart. If it was me working it I would first remove the compression post and wrap it in cellophane to protect it then use it for fitting and sizing. Then I would grind out a vee around the split open areas. Then fill to the surface with fiberglass re-enforced bondo (compression post in place). After it hardens grind it flat and rough up the area around it where a cloth patch will go. Then using fiberglass cloth in several layers, each one slightly larger that the next, cover the area. Using a small paint roller pre-mix the resin and wet out the area(s) as the layers are added. If you should encroach on the compression post hole just wait for the resin to harden and cut and grind the excess away. Then maybe with time available I would use some more of the bodo to smooth the repaired area and sand it all flat to blend it. Then I would paint it and it wouldn't look all that bad.

Tools, disc/dual action sander and course, medium and fine grit discs. A drill with 1" drum sander. Bondo spreaders.

Supplies, A quart of Fiberglass re-enforced bondo filler. A quart of fiberglass resin. Two packages on fiberglass cloth. Paint. Masks, gloves and eye protection.

A DS 1 does seem tougher that the DS 2, at least the one I used to have. The top deck was much thicker and stronger than my DS 2.

I know that you have sentimental attachments to yours but that Hunter green hull with the yellow stripe and the ivory deck looks pretty darn nice. :)

Good luck,

Carl
carl10579

Postby AndyKatonahNY » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:40 am

Wow, Carl, thank you so much, what great practical advice. If I do the repair myself, I will likely follow it like a shop manual. Are you near PV? I'm in Katonah. Yes, it was more than windy, we were hammering. Having the time of our lives until whatever went wrong. Whitecaps all around us. I've got to get that post out to see what happened under there when I get to the boat this week end.

What am I "grinding" with? An "angle grinder" as another referenced earlier? When you say drum sander, I looked that up and it shows things that go on the end of a power drill. Is that what you mean? Otherwise shows a big machine that would stand on a shop floor.

The boat in the picture of my original post, supra, the O'Day DSI of dubious vintage, sold yesterday in NH, per the owner, presumably to the guy from Long Island who must've made that 6 hour drive. Asking price had been $2k. Would love to know what they painted her with. He or she got a nice looking boat, I'm jealous.
AndyKatonahNY

Postby GreenLake » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:18 pm

About tools to cut/sand: most of us tend to have a bit of an "arsenal" and throw whatever works at the problem. Some things work better than others for a certain project, sometimes it depends on the geometry or the access.

I can see how a drum at the end of drill would come in handy for some of this.

Some people swear by Dremel tools, others have Fein Multimasters. All good tools, but none of them the only way to get the job done.

Instead of fiberglass reinforced "bondo", I would use 3M's "high strength marine filler". The difference being that the marine filler should stand up to being submerged, while that's a reported weakness of the standard automotive stuff.

For final fairing, I'd prefer an epoxy-based fairing compound, for the same reason. Local shops stock SystemThree's Quickfair, and I've been using that.

If enough of the cuddy floor can be positioned back where it was, you can of course patch it in place; but if there's a significant hole to bridge, wet fiberglass would need to be supported from below. Hence my suggestion of making a sheet of it ahead of time and patching things that way. Matter of preference.

Final idea: if it looks like you could create a clean circular hole of the correct diameter and by that obviate most of the repair, then I would consider fitting a deck plate (inspection port). It would allow permanent access to the space below the cuddy floor, something a number of people have retrofitted. They come in several sizes, I've used an 8" one, for example.

Another option would be to not restore the level floor, but to mold a bit of a rectangular depression (into which you could then securely fit a 12V battery, if that's ever something you'd want). Several people have done something like that.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:32 pm

This happened to ChrisB's '80 DS2 as well. On the second day of the 2014 FL 120 (raid type distance sailing event), he noticed the stays getting slack. At that evening's anchorage, after pulling gear out of the cuddy, he noticed a crack in the cuddy floor just in front of the mast step. He pulled the boat out of the water the next morning and went home. There, he cut about a two foot square out of the cuddy floor, with the step in the middle. What he found underneath was simply astounding: the top of the compression post wasn't even close to being aligned with the step, and it appeared that the boat had been built that way. Must have been a Monday or a Friday at Ye Olde O'day Shoppe! He rebuilt the compression post, glassed the square back in, and all was right with the world again ... ;-P
Last edited by TIM WEBB on Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby carl10579 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:33 am

Hey Andy,

Yes I live in Putnam Valley and I work in Brewster. I wouldn't mind stopping by sometime to have a look.

I had a DS 1 that I bought for almost nothing and ended up giving it away. But a nice one is worth it's weight. My DS 2 is in fair condition and I would sail it anywhere, paid $700 for it. To put boats in perspective when I was looking for something bigger that I could trailer I found an Aquarius A23 in nice condition at the price I budgeted for it so I bought it through the mail, no hesitation and then weeks tater I made the trip to lake Ontario to pick it up. Another boat I was considering was a Mariner and they are hard to find. If I could have only one sailboat it would be that. A beauty came up for sail on Craig's List. I thought I would wait a few days before calling and it was gone.

I sail the daysailer in the Hudson by George's Island and on Lake Wallenpaupack I've sailed the Aquarius only in the Hudson and in Buzzards Bay out to Martha's Vineyard. Would love to sail out to Block Island. They're both fun boats with different missions.

Carl
carl10579

Postby Lil Maggie » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:30 pm

So? how did it go? the suspense is killing us! provided you got a chance to get to see your boat, that is....
m
A crappy day sailing is better than a good one at home...
DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

Previous

Return to Day Sailer II Only