what year and hull question

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

what year and hull question

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 08, 2002 2:43 pm

Saw a DS II for sale yesterday, owner thinks it is from late 70's. Its dirty from sitting out in the weather but at first glance integrity is OK. The cuddy is sealed with moldy piece of canvas and toggles rather than a wood door or slider. Does that help narrow the year? (I'd probably replace it with a wood door). Also, the hull is a very oxidized light blue. Is it possible to buff it back to original color? Haven't seen the sails yet but assuming they are usable, the asking price of 1750 (with a 3 hp Merc and trailer) seems $3-400 high from what I've gathered from this group. Any input is appreciated before I go back for a more thorough look. I'm looking for a family sailer (my 8 year old loved it.)

Thanks

Jeff (leonarje-at-ucs.orst.edu)

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 08, 2002 10:41 pm

If this boat is a 1973 model or newer, there will be a Hull Identification Number molded into the outside of the transom (mine is centered between the rudder gudgeons). The last 2 digits will be the last 2 digits in the model year. However, from your description, I suspect that this boat is a 1971 (maybe 1972) model. Does it have any molded-in stripes? Are there jibsheet camcleats on the centerboard trunk? One of our former neighbors once owned a 1971 DS II, that boat was medium, light blue..with a white deck, clear-anodised spars. He sold the boat in about 1976 or '77, funny thing is that his son bought a used 1979 DS II in 1983.....sold it in 1996....it is presently stored in my Parent's garage, and bears the name "SUNBIRD". I have really enjoyed the boat!
As for the price, I paid $1400 with a trailer (trailer needed work), but without a motor.

Rod Johnson, "SUNBIRD" (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 11, 2002 8:42 pm

Soft Scrub works nicely on the heavy stuff. I tried compound and its slow going. One individual recommended rubbing it down with Marine Penetrol after the Soft Scrub. Soft Scrub has a certain amount of bleach in it which helps kill off. Yields a reasonable finish. Depends on if you're gonna sail it or stare at it.

dan carow (dcarow-at-attbi.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 18, 2002 7:04 pm

Try "Bon-Amie" for the scrub down same "soft" as the soft scrub without the marketing and ad costs. Spend the extra on wax and a buffer!

barry (bfk-at-sandiego.gov)

Return to Day Sailer II Only