Where to start?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Where to start?

Postby GreenLake » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:17 pm

There's also a whole section on "Sails" in this forum where you can read all about different sail lofts and people's experiences with them as well as other topics about sails for the DS.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Zinger88 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:29 pm

Sorry for late response. Yes...you can have confidence that the sails from Intensity will fit your DSII. I have a 1976 DSII and they fit just fine. Agree with everything Alan said in regards to what is included. Except mine came with tell-tales attached to the jib and I ordered extras to place on the main.
Jim H
'76 Daysailer II, Sail #7920, Windsong
Burton, TX
~~ _/) ~
Zinger88

Postby andycayman » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:48 pm

Finally getting back to my DSII project, sorry for the delay... I hate how life gets in the way of all the fun stuff!

I managed to get the bent mast stepped over the weekend. Those with more sailing experience than me have said its a non issue, so no need to try and straighten it - yaay!

On the downside the standing rigging is shot, as are the sails, so fresh rigging coming from Rudy, and a fresh set of main and jib sails from Intensity, three weeks before I get them tho :(

Next step is to figure out if I am brave enough to get the boat onto saw horses or if I will careen her to get at the CB. Anyone know how much room I need under the boat to get the CB removed and refitted (for uphaul/downhaul replacement?) Just trying to figure out if I have saw-horses tall enough .. if not it may mean a dry launch (both are scarey tbh).

And although this is a long shot, has anyone tried dropping a DSII onto a J22 trailer? There is a spare at the club and I am wondering if it may be the answer to my CB problem! The J22 trailier is super tall to fit the keel, so it may have the room I need to get the job done...

Thanks again to this community for support and seemingly endless knowledge!!
andycayman

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:58 pm

The length of the CB is about 4'. Figure on that much clearance.

Alternative: with 2 friends, launch onto the ground (use old carpet or launch on lawn/beach to avoid point loads), tip and roll over onto some old tires. Then extract CB from the (now) top. Because gravity doesn't support you when the CB trunk opening points up, easiest way is to use two webbing straps to lift the CB out horizontally. Same for controlled positioning when replacing. Works well. I think I may have used each as a loop with the ratchet engaged, allowed for very controlled release by one person while the other installed the H/W.

Or launch onto the ground with the mast rigged and use that long lever to flip the boat on its side (careening it). Needs a bit of soft support (or lawn or beach). You can do that yourself (single handed).

If your trailer has a hinge (break-neck) you may need to limit the tilt angle with a rope lashing for easier retrieval. If not, you may need to use a 2x4 to lever the bow to the height of your first roller on the trailer.

I've done multiple launches to the hard now, and all went well. I've done them single-handed and with one friend (both mast up) and with two friends (without mast, turning the boat 180°). The weight of the DS is such that it can still be controlled by manpower.

(I doubt the supports for a J22 trailer are in the right location, but that obviously depends on the trailer).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby andycayman » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:33 pm

Thanks GL, I will give it some serious thought this weekend.
andycayman

Previous

Return to Day Sailer II Only