Synthetic uphaul cable?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Synthetic uphaul cable?

Postby badgley » Sun May 13, 2018 10:29 am

Hi all,

I have my CB out of my DSII for repainting, and while the cable isn't broken, there is some corrosion and it looks original so it seems silly not to replace while the boat is off the trailer anyway. If I understand correctly, the cables from DR will need swaged on the forward end to the small uphaul block - so that will require acquiring/borrowing a swaging tool.

However, I have also seen mention of possibly replacing that with something synthetic like Dyneema line, but I can't find a post from anyone who has actually done it, after much searching until my eyes are crossed. Is there anyone on the forum that has done it or has strong feelings about whether it's a good or bad idea? I assume the best solution would be splicing with a thimble to the tang (not sure how easy that would be...) and then I thought one benefit is that I could just tie it to a thimble on the block, which would allow unattaching it in the future for maintenance/inspection. It sounds like this might also have the advantage of being more slippery and thus less likely to jam (although that's never happened to me - knock on wood) but also possibly the disadvantage of being more prone to chafe. And there seem to be a lot of opportunities for chafe in that space...

I suppose another option is to stick with the SS cable and go with some kind of shackle attachment that can be disconnected form the block. I know it doesn't (shouldn't) need disconnected often, but I generally hate the idea of permanent connections that don't allow for flexibility. Not to mention buying *another* tool...
Brian Badgley
1982 DS II #10911 EGRETTA
Blacksburg, VA, USA
badgley

Re: Synthetic uphaul cable?

Postby GreenLake » Sun May 13, 2018 4:36 pm

Generally Dyneema (e.g. in the form of AmSteel rope from Samson ropes) is a good replacement option for wire - as long as there are no sharp edges that chafe).

I don't have a DSII, so can't contribute actual experience, but can't believe this isn't already described somewhere in the older posts here.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby badgley » Mon May 14, 2018 10:50 am

Thanks GreenLake - I would have thought so too, but I spent over an hour scrolling through posts and couldn't find anything except references to other people doing it. Either way, no big deal. I ordered some 1/8" Amsteel Blue, some thimbles, and a D-splicer and we'll see how it goes. It seems like a pretty straightforward replacement. Famous last words.
Brian Badgley
Blacksburg, VA, USA
badgley

Postby GreenLake » Fri May 18, 2018 12:31 am

The one thing that people noted as a trick is to split one of the lines (double it) and run the other one between the two. Supposed to keep things from jamming at the side of the CB. Can't remember whether UH or DH was the one they doubled (didn't pay that much attention as I don't own a DSII myself).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby badgley » Fri May 18, 2018 6:55 am

Huh, that's an interesting idea - probably the UH since that one is a much smaller diameter. I think I'll try it straightforward first and then maybe resort to that if I have trouble.
Brian Badgley
Blacksburg, VA, USA
badgley

Postby badgley » Fri May 25, 2018 6:03 pm

Just an update in case it's helpful to anyone in the future. Making a new attachment for the uphaul tang was pretty easy with amsteel and cost only a couple dollars:

I ordered about 10' of 1/8" amsteel blue (which is gray...) for just a few dollars. You probably only need about 4, but I wanted enough to start over if necessary because I hadn't worked with it before. The only thing I learned was that the 1/8" thimble that I ordered was too big to go through the hole in the tang, as you can see in the picture. So I just cleaned up and used the original. So if you're replacing, try to either salvage your old one, buy a smaller thimble, or be prepared to drill out the hole. I used a long bury splice with a lockstich and whipping, and it turned out pretty well. Just recognize that most of the how-to videos on the web describe a locking brummel splice, which you can't use in this scenario, and - don't forget to thread on the thimble and tang before splicing! Once I reattach the centerboard, I think it should be pretty easy to do the other splice to the block in the cabin. Then I'll have some extra to try my hand at a couple soft shackles...

As another upside, I think my old wire uphaul had either slipped or stretched or was the incorrect length, so hopefully now I'll actually be able to pull the board all the way up into the hull.
Brian Badgley
Blacksburg, VA, USA
badgley

Return to Day Sailer II Only