CB Lines Confusion

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

CB Lines Confusion

Postby andycayman » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:12 am

Sloghtly confused about my new CB cable kit. My DSII CB uphaul steel cable is totally shot. I picked up new cables and a new bolt from D&R to replace them, hopefully this weekend.

http://www.drmarine.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DS106b

According the the DSII book, the uphaul line is a 1/4 laid line, and on my boat and all the pictures I have seen the uphaul is not a SS cable.

So I am not sure if the two cables in the kit I received from Rudy means one is a spare, or if I should use both cables, one for the uphaul and one for the downhaul?

If I should just use one, is there any particular "type" of 1/4 line I should buy to replace the downhaul?

If it makes any difference, my DSII CB Trunk appears to be standard, with one hole for the uphaul at the front bottom of the CB trunk in the cuddy, and the downhaul on top of the front part of the CB trunk, also in the cuddy.
andycayman

Re: CB Lines Confusion

Postby GreenLake » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:55 pm

The part you linked shows two cables with tangs. I see no other lines/cables on the D&R site's CB section. That would make the idea of a spare less plausible. However, you can always call Rudy. One thing that I know from reading posts here, there are CB's where at least one of the lines is not attached with a tang, but with an internal fixture reached via a hole.

Some people use doubled rope for one of the lines with the other fed through between. That is said to reduce the chance any of them gets wedged on the side of the CB. Go spelunk in the older posts.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby andycayman » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:30 pm

Thanks GL, mystery solved.

This evening I managed to careen my boat and the downhaul in the CB is a 1/4 inch line that is attached to the CB through a hole in the leading edge and probably by being knotted in an insert and then some sort of epoxy on top.
andycayman

Postby GreenLake » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:56 am

Glad you sorted it out.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer II Only