Day Sailer 11

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Day Sailer 11

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:19 am

I bought the DS11 a couple of months ago and have been working on it until the weather, tides and work get it together. That was yesterday when I got the first chance to sail. The DS2 is awesome!
I've been downsizing for the last few years from the 52ft. cat to a 23 ft. mono to my Day Sailer. I think I'll stay with the DS for a while. It is a very sweet, stable and fast boat. I'm really not suprised because just looking at it is enough to recognize that with its long waterline/beam ratio, its flat back end,low to the water and not much against the air will equal a good ride.
I did make some changes and additions over the last couple of months. These I would have on any boat:
1 slides on the leech of the main. These nylon slugs sew onto (around) the leech rope in an hour or so. They only cost about a dollar each and it takes 9 or 10 to do the job. Any sail loft carries them. With the slides in place the sail goes up and down the mast like butter! Also, with the addition of a simple stop (keeps the slides from comming out of the mast) it is now possible to lower the main onto the boom for flaking or rolling. Also will allow REEFING with the addition of a few grommets amd ties. Reef points are next on my boat. Every mainsail should be able to reef!!!
2 I built a sliding gooseneck. My boat didn't have one (the gooseneck was rivited on). This has allowed me to lower the boom and get a good stretch on the main.
3 Added a topping lift. It starts at the mast head-down to a block at the end of the boom- and over to a cleat on the boom. Topping lifts are great! With one it is possible to lower the main and still have the boom off of the boat. Downwind the boom can be lifted to billow the sail. Lots of neat things with a topping lift.
4 I'm gonna add the reef points this week and have already made an end cap for the boom, plugs all around, and am thinking of making some sort of rowing station (like a board with a seat and two oar locks).
5 I wonder if there will be anything else?????
I am really impressed with the DS. It's fast and sails flat (for the most part). With lots of room and comfortable seating this boat is a keeper!

Jim (jimali-at-olypen.com)

Return to Day Sailer II Only