Anchor Weight for day sailer mooring

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Anchor Weight for day sailer mooring

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 01, 2002 8:05 pm

I just bought a 1984 Day Sailer and would like to moor it on one of the large Finger Lakes. What weight anchor do I need?

bob wright (rwright8-at-stny.rr.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 03, 2002 11:45 am

I also need a anchor, but for the smaller finger lakes.(Honeoye and Canandaigua) Anyway, about anchors, a 9 pound Danforth works for up to a 25ft boat in 20 knot winds.

Brandon Evans (Lehighvalley2-at-yahoo.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 09, 2002 12:03 am

I use a 100# mushroom mooring, for my DS II. A 75# mushroom would be sufficient, unless your mooring location is exposed to strong wind/wave action. I moor in about 3-7 feet of water (3' at low-tide, 7' at high) and the bottom is soft mud. I use a heavy chain from the mooring anchor (11' long, 3/8" link-size) to the light chain (10' long, 5/16" link-size) attached to the ball (float), then a 6' long mooring pendant of 1/2" dia 3-strand nylon. I have spliced in a bridle to the pendant to allow me to have the line to run to both bow cleats, this is not totally necessary...but I like the added security and the fact that it centers the line off the bow. The local town may have mooring requirements as to size / type, I'd check their advice...but the above should be a starting point.

Rod Johnson, "SUNBIRD" (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Return to Day Sailer II Only