Painting the waterline

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Painting the waterline

Postby JavelinMan » Sun May 31, 2020 4:09 pm

I will be repainting the DS II soon, and I would like to scribe the design waterline on her. I will either paint the boat two tone, or all one color with a thin stripe to describe the waterline. Are there measurements to use? How can I recover the design waterline on an old boat?
JavelinMan

Re: Painting the waterline

Postby GreenLake » Sun May 31, 2020 6:27 pm

If you can splash your boat, you could make sure the strip lines up with how she sits in the water.

Top of the stripe on my boat sits at 1.5" above the bottom of the transom and 5" above the bottom of the keel at the bow (measured just past the curve where the bow turns into the keel, or 7" in from the front). Width 2".

My boat, even if empty, tends to squat a bit, the aft part of the waterline is always under water by about half an inch (when sitting fully rigged at the dock, but no outboard etc. at the stern).

Were you planning on using neon green or bright orange for the below the waterline color? Might make your boat easy to spot if capsized. . .
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer II Only