Can anyone show me a picture of how you secure your crutch?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Can anyone show me a picture of how you secure your crutch?

Postby zeroready » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:24 pm

I've got the scissors shaped one that everyone makes, but I'm having a hard time keeping it secure to the transom area while I'm sliding the mast back and forth on it while raising, or laying the boom on it while rigging. If I don't tie it in some way the crutch will simply fall forward or back and drop the mast or boom. Also if you've made a mast crutch that goes into the rudder gudgeons could you show me that?

Thanks!
zeroready

Re: Can anyone show me a picture of how you secure your crut

Postby GreenLake » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:07 pm

I don't think I have a photo of mine, but the thing is simplicity itself: a short length of 1x4 with a V notch cut in the upper end. To support it in the gudgeons, you'll need to get a set of pintles. You need the ones attached to flat strips as opposed to a U shaped bracket, but they should be readily available. They are called "transom pintles" because the flat strip version would be mounted on transom. (The U bracket versions are more common, those normally go on the rudder. You might be able to adapt the support to accept those, if you are clever about it, but then you would lose the simplicity of using a single board of 1x4).

In either case, measure the pin diameter on your existing ones, to get the matching size.

You mount the pintles to your mast support and then hang it like a rudder. Done.

Amazingly, even a single board of 1x4 is strong enough to support the rear end of the mast. I have described elsewhere how I secure the mast for transport.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby zeroready » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:54 pm

cool thank you i didn't even think of using actual pintles. I was trying to find a way to use a board and bolts I had that fit the gudgeons and it was getting way too complicated. That will work for the mast, but I think it will be too far back for the boom to lay on it once its attached to the mast so if I do use the board and pintles in the gudgeons, I still need to figure out a way to secure the crutch I have to the transom to support the boom while I'm rigging singlehanded. Or move the board from the gudgeons to inside against the transom securely when I need to lay the boom on it. Thanks again though!
zeroready

Postby GreenLake » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:12 pm

You will find discussions of this issue in older posts, many years back. Now that you are describing the details, it triggers a vague recollection.

Note that I own an DS1 and take the boom off the mast. The DS1 cockpit allows the boom to be laid flat on the bench; I recollect from sailing on a DSII that the same is somehow not possible.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby zeroready » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:29 pm

Think I found my answer way back in the forums. A 6 inch PVC pipe with a long notch cut in one end that slides over the whole transom all the way to the deck, a small notch in the top for the mast or boom. Simple and effective and I never would have thought of it. I'll try to get it made in the next couple of days and post a picture for the next person that needs one. Thanks Greenlake!
zeroready

Postby GreenLake » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:14 am

Cool.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer II Only