Best way to attach cleats to top of cuddy?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Best way to attach cleats to top of cuddy?

Postby zeroready » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:12 pm

I just installed a topping lift (what a lifesaver, so nice not having the boom in the cockpit while motoring). Now instead of cleating it to the mast with all the halyards I would like to have it on top of the cuddy, and possibly even add other cleats there in the future. Should I bolt them all the through the cuddy and a board or something on the underside of the cuddy? Seems like just screwing them into the fiberglass would be a bad idea.
zeroready

Re: Best way to attach cleats to top of cuddy?

Postby Alan » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:33 pm

I've through-bolted two cleats on top of the cuddy and the bowsprit support plate on the foredeck, with support plates underneath in all three cases. The cuddy top and foredeck are sturdy, but cleats concentrate the load in a small area and it's a good idea to spread it out.
Alan

Re: Best way to attach cleats to top of cuddy?

Postby GreenLake » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:41 pm

As @Alan writes, you want to put some backing. If you are planning on adding several cleats to the deck in a given area, why not put a piece or two of 1/4 plywood in place, and then throughbolt the cleats with decent sized washers. I think 1/4" is probably enough for anything other than perhaps vang and halyard, if in doubt, use two, stacked. 1/4 will bend easily enough to accommodate the curve of the deck (and if you need more strength, stacking them you can bend each one better than a single 1/2").

Now, I would make sure the wood is sealed using neat epoxy, and the same can be used to glue it in place to the underside of the cuddy. Nothing fancy needed for gluing it because the first set of bolts will then hold it in place. Do give it a coat of some spray paint to keep out whatever UV makes it inside your cuddy and preserve the epoxy. Finally, need to remember to seal any holes you drill.

That said, I've only mounted cleats on the aft edge of my cuddy (DS1) and they've not required any supports beyond washers in that location (see image). Other areas of the deck do have wooden backing for added hardware.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer II Only