New DS II Owner, Mast is it safe to sail?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

New DS II Owner, Mast is it safe to sail?

Postby ecalapiz » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:17 pm

Hello,

I am new on the forum and a proud new owner of a 1975 DSII. My family and I are new sailors and really excited to continue our learning with this boat. As I was inspecting the boat I noticed that one of the previous owners repaired the mast by the spreaders. Does anyone know if these repairs are sound, is it safe to sail? I appreciate any advice.

Here are some pictures: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bmir9frepbfur63/AACUv4id6TtlyyA0PkHeYTq0a?dl=0

Thank you in advance,

Ed
ecalapiz

Re: New DS II Owner, Mast is it safe to sail?

Postby Anstigmat » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:52 pm

I think at that point the force is compression so I'd say it's fine. You tend to get a lot of conjecture on issues like this.
Anstigmat

Postby GreenLake » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:14 pm

Ed,

welcome to the forum.

One source of information on the repair should be the seller. You might inquire about actual experience using the repaired mast (for how long, in what range of conditions). That might be more valuable than the "lot of conjecture" the previous poster alluded to.

(In one of the images it looks like there might be a spot of corrosion under the spreader bracket - can never diagnose those remotely, but might be worthwhile keeping an eye on this).

As for being new sailors, you might like to look at the "Basic Concepts and Techniques" thread under Seamanship here, in case there's something useful.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby ecalapiz » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:22 pm

Thank you both for the advice. I will follow up with the seller to find out more information.

Thanks again!

Ed
ecalapiz

Postby jalmeida51 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:12 pm

ED,

Looking at the rivets that attaches the spreader bracket to the mast. It appears to me that the rivets should be replaced and with the brackets off you can treat the corrosion under them. You can see there is daylight between the brackets and the mast. This should be a flush fit. At least check the rivets to make sure they are tight. If they are tight You probably can sail it. It is really hard to tell by the pictures if there is a gap between the bracket and mast. But if there is you might want to tend to it in the near future.

John
jalmeida51

Postby ecalapiz » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:31 am

John,

Thank you for your close look. I will add that to the list. :)

Ed
ecalapiz

Return to Day Sailer II Only