Bent tang on centerboard

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Bent tang on centerboard

Postby wfon » Tue May 31, 2022 10:51 am

I can't retract the centerboard on a moored Daysailer II - it can't go up more than 45 degrees - and the centerboard can only be moved by pushing on it from underneath - the control lines are frozen in place. I believe that the end of the tang is bent over to one side so the uphaul cable jammed between the centerboard and the slot. If I take out the centerboard (wedge & pin), will I be able to bend the connection on the tang back into place where the cable attaches, or will I need to get a new tang? I realize it would be best to replace it, but I am wondering if anyone had dealt with this before and had success. Thanks!
wfon

Re: Bent tang on centerboard

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:54 am

You realize you are asking a question based on an assumption. Meaning, you will know more once you've got the CB out and can inspect everything.

One recent poster mentioned damage in the uphaul feed through that was effectively cleating his uphaul, There may be other possibilities, or your suspicions may be spot on.

In general, to bend a tang back you need to be able to take it off, so you can move it far enough in the opposite direction. Call it the "law of tangs". Whether yours can be fixed or needs to be replaced is impossible to predict.

How are you planning to do the repair? Is your mooring in shallow water, or is there a beach that you can drag the boat onto and careen it?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby wfon » Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:10 am

Yes, the boat is moored in shallow water and it will be straightforward to careen the boat on shore to remove the centerboard plates and pull out the centerboard so the tang can be accessed or removed. I expect the bolts for the centerboard plates may be hard to remove - is it recommended to use a screwdriver so as not to damage the threads, or can an impact driver be used to remove them? When reinstalling the plates with the machine bolts, is there a recommended sealant? Thanks for your help!
wfon

Postby GreenLake » Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:41 pm

I searched with:

Code: Select all
site:forum.daysailer.org centerboard wedge sealant

using my favorite search engine and found you a picture of the assembly

https://forum.daysailer.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4378&start=15

The discussion in the thread may also be illuminating, (but it seems at least one poster may have mixed up discussing the DSII and DS1, so make sure what you read is applicable).

As for sealant, people who install deck hardware on larger boats really like Butyl, because it stays flexible. Definitely avoid 3M 5200 or any adhesive sealant like that - the CB must remain removable and not glued in place. However, it depends on whether the screws extend into the bilge. Some people think they do, others say there's no chance for leakage there. You'll know more once you had a look, but I guess you may need to have something ready just in case, so get some butyl tape.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby wfon » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:44 pm

Thanks for your. help! I was able to get the end of the tang bent back into place and the centerboard reinstalled. it’s back in working order.
wfon

Postby GreenLake » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:49 pm

Great to hear. Did you see any evidence of sealant when you took off the plates? Did you use any?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer II Only