suggestions for safely transporting a DSII

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

suggestions for safely transporting a DSII

Postby erickolsen » Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:14 pm

Good afternoon all,

I'm a new DSII owner, and just getting back into sailing after 40+ years.

I'm looking for some advice on safely transporting the boat. I don't have a mooring or slip at the moment and probably won't for some time, so I have to trailer the boat to a few local lakes to enjoy some time on the water.

So here are a couple of questions:

1. When I bought the boat, the mast was completely detached and laying across a piece of padded wood on the hinge plate at the bow, and on a U-shaped steel brace that fits into the rudder clips at the stern. The mast was secured by the same ratchet straps that held the boat to the trailer, and this seems OK, but I'm not sure if this is putting too much stress on the mast. I'd appreciate any recommendations/photos of best practices to secure the boat and mast for transport.

2. The boom was just sitting in the bottom of the boat, held loosely to the centerboard area with a piece of rope. The trip home from where I bought the boat was short, but this doesn't seem like a good option when towing the boat 30-60 minutes or more. At minimum, it's banging around damaging the interior of the boat, and worst, it could become a projectile. What's the best way to secure the boom?

3. To make raising and lowering the mast, I've replaced several of the split rings on the mast hinge and at the bow connection with easier to use, stainless steel cotter pins, am I inviting disaster?

Any other recommendations for easier/safer transport are gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks,
Erick
erickolsen

Re: suggestions for safely transporting a DSII

Postby GreenLake » Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:20 pm

Welcome to the forum.

let's talk about the boom: in principle you could provide padding and leave it in the cockpit, but then you have the issue of how to secure it (hold it down). For boats that have hiking straps, one could repurpose the attachment points. But another alternative that some people did write about is to secure the boom to the mast. You may have to go back several years, but I remember seeing descriptions. This may involve the rear support turning into a "double decker" spar holder. (On a DS1 the solution is simpler, because the boom can be tucked under the rear deck and tied to the thwarts, with padding to protect the seat).

let's talk about the mast: I decided to go for a three-point support. One is a simple 1x4 with a notch at the top, attached to the gudgeons, that holds the back end of the mast; one sits at at the location corresponding to your tabernacle; and finally there is a wooden fork I attached to the trailer winch, to support the mast at the front. (Two 1x4s with a spacer). This setup can easily handle the weight of the mast: security against losing the mast in an accident is provided by the strap downs.

For strapping down I don't use ratchet straps, and certainly not the same ones used to tie down the hull. The center of the mast is secured by a line I attach to the pair of horn cleats on the cuddy deck, with an extra turn around the mast before belaying. At the front, I use a bungee to keep the mast from bouncing in the fork, but I also use a line from the foredeck cleat, tied in a way that it not only prevents the mast from going up, but that it tightens itself should the mast ever try to slide forward (such as in an accident). In the rear, I again use both a bungee and a rope (attached to the stern cleats) to hold the mast down in the supports (and holds the supports in the gudgeons). The bungee prevents or dampens any bouncing even if the rope has an unavoidable bit of slack.

Let's talk about clevis pins and how to secure them: if a clevis pin can get loose, your mast will fall. That's a pretty big issue (for a keel-stepped mast, it can bend or even break from wind loads). Anything you do for securing the clevis pins should be robust and secure. For anything longer than an afternoon on the water, you might even think about taping any split rings. My experience is understandably limited: nobody experiences all situations or all types of failures. While I did bend my mast, the failure was due to incorrect attachment of the stay (unrelated to how the clevis pin is secured). I've used split rings and they've served well for limited duration outings (same day). However, a friend and former participant here had a mast to overboard (and a capsize) because a split ring worked loose on a longer cruise. You can either forget about the ring and use mousing wire, or tape the rings, for added security if you plan to use your boat on longer trips.

It's also worthwhile to consider the placement. Rings should be facing in, so that jib or spinnaker sheets can't get tangled in them.

Hope this helps you think through your setup.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby tomodda » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:52 pm

Erick:

Welcome to the party! I second what GL wrote. I wanted to emphasize for your third question - cotter pins - that anything that can snag a line on a boat WILL snag a line. Which is why most use split rings. If they annoy you, carry a stubby screwdriver to split them open. As for securing the boom, I may be a troglodyte.... I use a ratchet strap right behind the mainsheet jammer (back of the centerboard case) to hold the boat onto the trailer. So my boom storage method is to shove the boom as far forward into the cuddy as possible and then tie the clew end to the ratchet strap with whatever is at hand. Usually I lie the clew end of the boom right on top of the ratchet, but sometimes I tie it under. If I can be bothered, I put a spare lifejacket under the tack end to protect my bilges, but normally I have enough assorted crap under the cuddy to rest the boom on. Anyway, no need to overcomplicate.

Fair winds!

Tom
tomodda

Postby GreenLake » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:06 am

Let's discuss ratchet straps: The straps used for tying down powerboats are the best: two short straps, one on each side. If you use a single long strap, the boat can twist and shift. I know, because that's what I have, and I'm always annoyed how much the boat is able to shift even during short trip. The reason may have to do with the interaction of hull shape and bunk location: instead of getting longer, the path for the strap can get shorter if the boat is out of position. Still, the strap prevents the rear of the boat from leaving the trailer.

An extreme case is the bow. If you just run a strap from trailer over the foredeck and back down, the bow gets narrower fast enough to make up for the longer length required to reach the deck when you angle the strap. As a result, the strap will eventually move forward and fall off the boat. Even if you start with a tight strap. In that case, the solution is simple: hook the strap behind the foredeck cleat. Which is what I do. A side effect is that the boat can't slide backwards, so this is becomes another failsafe in case the boweye or the trailer cable fail.

Because of the way straps can work loose, or allow the boat to work inside the perimeter set by the strap, I'm not a friend of using the same strap that holds to boat to also hold something against the deck. That just adds another variable. However, I don't see that problem with Tom's suggestion of using the strap across the cockpit to hold up the end of a boom. There's no way that shifting of the boom would affect tie-down geometry the same way as strapping the mast to the hull would. I don't have experience with that setup, but I have suspended a coiled mainsheet from the strap.

Incidentally, my trucker friends swear by adding a twist or two into the strap as it crosses the open cockpit. Said to improve the aerodynamics (less fluttering).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby erickolsen » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:30 am

Hello all,

Thanks for the advice/guidance, all very helpful.

With regard to the boom, sounds like there is no easy method, so I'll just do some trial and error to see what keeps the boom safe, and well secured.

This past weekend, I modified how/where I used the ratchet straps, using some of your adive and I'm happy with the results. My past Air National Guard mobility training (from 35+ years ago) taught me to be overly conservative when it comes to strapping down loads, so I always opt for an extra strap or two. I use the twisting technique to eliminate flutter where it make sense as well.

One last question on this topic related to raising/lowering the mast. There's indications in some of the minimal literature on this boat that with a tabernacle, you "should" be able to raise and lower the mast single handed. I'm not as young and strong as I used to be, but I don't see this as being practical or easy. Am I missing something ?

Thanks again,
Erick
erickolsen

Postby GreenLake » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:41 pm

Erick,

I own a DS1 with a keel-stepped mast and I have a home-built tabernacle that allows the mast to slide down once it's vertical. (Not my invention, but a cool solution). I am able to raise and lower the mast on my own, while standing in the cockpit. Now, there are important differences.

1) the mast is longer, that makes it fractionally harder

2) once the mast is vertical, it gets lowered through the deck. Hitting the mast step on first try can be tricky, but even if you fail, the mast can no longer fall. So that makes the situation slightly harder and a lot easier.

3) once the mast is in the mast step, you no longer need to control it; you can take all your time to rig the stays. This is where stepping a keel-stepped mast becomes easier than one with a true tabernacle. Inverse of expectations.

Now, to your case. If you can leave your shrouds attached and have some line that can replace the forestay and which you can pull taut from the cockpit, you can raise a tabernacle mast on your own. Getting it vertical is no harder than on my boat, it's just the need to secure it before you can let go that would require a bit of a solution. It's not so much strength, but leverage. If you are not tall enough to hold the mast vertical, you could look at building a bit of a platform (a board from seat to seat with an inverse U to accommodate the CB trunk). With such a raised stance you should have no issues controlling the mast while up - as long as you can pull tight the temporary forestay without letting go.

You sound like you have a bit of experience, so I don't have to tell you to try this first with a spotter.

You may have to work out the details, but I'm sure there's a way to do it. I've single handed with desk stepped mast on a different dinghy, the main difference being that I could stand next to the boat instead of in it.

PS: if you go for the "platform" idea, don't leave the board at the launch, but flip it upside down and move it to the rear of the boat. You'll be surprised how nice it can be to use such a board to sit facing forward, even if only partially, on some points of sail. Or you can dimension it to serve as an extension to the seat if you ever what to camp in your boat...
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby tomodda » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:47 am

Erick:

Adding on to what GL wrote, my method for raising the tabernacle-stepped mast is to use the jib halyard to pull it up. Assuming boat is on the trailer, here's how I do it:

1) Lie the mast down over the transom and cuddy roof and connect the foot to the rear hinge of the tabernacle. This is by far the hardest part, and I'll put some notes on how I do it below. But first step is to get in the cockpit and walk the mast straight back from it's "trailering position" to line up the foot with the tabernacle. Masthead will wind up some 10 feet behind the trailer, so make sure you have space! Also make sure both side shrouds are connected and clear of any obstructions. This is crucial, if you don't attach your side shrouds, then the mast WILL fall sideways (don't ask me how I know). Secure your forestay somewhere so it doesn't flop around, I usually secure it to a side shroud.

2) Uncleat your jib halyard, pull the "sail-end" of the line forward and clip it to the stemhead, same hole normally use for the tack of the jib. Just like rigging the jib normally, except there is no jib!

3) Get up in the cockpit, towards the back, and lift the mast onto your shoulder... relatively easy to do thanks to leverage.

4) Walk the mast forward, lifting it till you can grab the jib halyard, roughly somewhere above 45 degrees.

5) Pull DOWN on the jib halyard, that will raise the mast to vertical. Continue guiding the mast with your shoulder or other hand.

5) As soon as the mast is vertical, cleat your jib halyrad, with as much tension as possible. Ideally, your mast will bend forward a bit (1/2 inch). Your mast is now secure, and you can let go of it.

6) Go forward (hop out of the cockpit) and fasten your fore-stay to the stemhead, normal position. If it doesn't quite reach (not enough tension on the jib halyard) and you don't have a helper to push forward on the mast a bit, then I have a little trick. Since you need both hands to fasten the forestay, you can't just pull down on the jib halyard from the bow. Instead, I PUSH the jib halyard - deflect it like a bow-string - with my elbow or shoulder. That's usually just enough to bring the hounds of the mast forward enough to clip the forestay in. It's always that last 1/4 inch!

7) That's it! Now you can put in the forward pin on the tabernacle and slack the jib halyard. May as well leave it clipped onto the stemhead though, since you'll be rigging the jib itself next. You could do the forward pin before Step 6, but I like to get the forestay rigged asap.

Note that this method involves a lot of hopping in and out of the cockpit while boat is on trailer. I'm lazy, I got myself a small step-ladder to help. Yes, I lost it (left in the boatyard), so my wife gifted me a foldable large-tread super-safe pantry ladder with handrails, even better. I keep it in the cockpit when trailering, in the back seat of car while sailing. Also, as my strength got better, I'm no longer walking the mast up from back of cockpit. I just hoist it on my shoulder while standing on the thwarts (in your case, straddling the CB right behind the cuddy door). Then I turn and push it to vertical and tension the halyard - skipping to step #5 above. The mast is relatively light - 40 pounds - it's the leverage that kills you. By attaching it to the tabernacle and positioning yourself properly, you can overcome the leverage and lift it by hand if you want. Use the jib halyard to either help you or to just secure the mast while clipping in the forestay. It's all good.

Lastly, how to attach the foot to the tabernacle (Step #1). The problem is that once you lay the mast across the transom, then the foot will not reach the tabernacle without the mast gouging into the roof and anyway the mast will not balance, it'll flip straight off the transom. Bad angle! My trick is to pile up boat cushions on my transom to lift the mast to horizontal, problem solved. However, DS2's don't have a flat transom area, nowhere to pile cushions. I suggest you make yourself a mast crutch of some sort, I think you'll already need one for trailering. Mast needs to start out at the same level as the tabernacle, and horizontal or a bit higher. Again, this is the trickiest part to do alone. With a helper, though, it's a doddle. Remember to pay your crew in beer! Also, it's best if you raise the mast on level ground, but if you're on a slope then park with the bow facing downwards. Much easier to raise mast.

That's it, hope the instructions are useful.

Fair winds!
tomodda

Postby erickolsen » Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:48 pm

Hey Tomodda and Greenlakes,

Thanks for your clear explanations. This is super helpful. I was going down the path of using the trailer winch, with a raised pivot point above the bow of the boat to pull up the mast, but that still takes 2 people. I should have thought of the jib halyard solution. It's so obvious now that you mention it. I've got some practicing to do to make this a clean process, but this should make my life much easier, and lead to less "tension" between my wife and I during the mast raising. :D

By the way Tomodda, your comment about not having the shrouds attached made me laugh. I nearly lost the mast sideways on my first attempt because I didn't have the shroud properly attached. As Graham Chapman (of Monty Python fame) once said during an interview - "That was a near brown trouser moment".

Thanks again and smooth sailing,
Erick
erickolsen

Postby Dirtybug » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:35 pm

On my new to me dsII I do just as Tomodda describes, the rear mast crutch for trailer is a huge help at the start to get the mast horizontal. My one mod is to add a temporary line about 2-3’ to the jib halyard down to the stemhead so It’s long enough to have it in my hand the whole time raising the mast so I don’t have to look or grab for it. This is the same line I use to leash a small cooler while under sail. It also works in reverse to ease the mast down when it’s time to go, or install the forgotten windex :oops:
Dirtybug

Postby GreenLake » Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:49 am

@dirtybug: welcome to the forum.

I hear you on the Windex. However, what do you do when you lose the jib halyard up the mast?

That happened to a crew member. On my boat, that doesn't prevent me from taking the mast down, but his was on the water. We were at the destination and needed to sail back. This was at a dock that sat high above the water level, but no place to pull out the boat or beach it. We used the spinnaker halyard to tip the boat, and a stepladder to get to the block to re-string the halyard. At least one time, I used the same method to get to the top of the mast (Windex, most likely, but I forgot the exact cause) except that time we had enough space to float the boat nearly horizontally and no step ladder....

I also like that your extra line serves dual duty on your boat.

(PS: the main halyard is not a good choice)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Dirtybug » Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:10 pm

I have three cleats on the bottom of my mast above above the tabernacle, two large for halyards and one is pretty small for the downhaul. The jib halyard has a clevis on the jib end with a knot on the mast end. This knot wedges nicely onto my small cleat when I’m working to raise or lower mast so no risk of it going anywhere. If it did somehow disappear there’d be no choice but to manhandle the mast down, maybe it could be partially lowered from the bow using the forestay and a line extension. - this is why these discussions are good, I neglected to mention or think about that little knot in my jib halyard it’s just something I do. And I haven’t given thought to “what if” the halyard was removed from the process for one reason or another.
* spent the day under the boat on the trailer lowering the rollers and bunks 3” to make launch/retrieval easier. Many rusted rounded nuts.
Dirtybug

Postby GreenLake » Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:28 am

Interesting. And yes, that's why "idle" discussions can be so productive.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer II Only