Kicking around the idea of dry sailing

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Kicking around the idea of dry sailing

Postby LikeAPuma24 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:17 pm

This was my first year of owning a DS, and we absolutely loved our time on the local lake, which we trailered to regularly.

I also partake in Wed night races, on someone else's boat, at a yacht club on the Sound. They have spots open for dry sailing trailers, as well as a lift that would easily handle the DS.

I feel like not having to trailer more than 50 feet, not having to step the mast each use, and being able to enjoy a small part of the LI sound would make it more than worthwhile to join the club and leave the DS there for the season.

My big questions is: What have people had success with in regards to getting the DS on a lift? I've seen a few suggestions about replacing the sidestay chainplates with headstay plates and using the additional hole to rig up some sort of bridle, but not sure if this is the best plan? Regardless, it's starting to get cooler here in CT, so I have all winter to work on it. Though I imagine finetuning a bridle or anything else would have to wait until I can put it on the lift and go from there.
LikeAPuma24

Re: Kicking around the idea of dry sailing

Postby Davegator83 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:26 pm

I would be interested in how this is working out for you. I am looking for a Daysailer (have leads on two! this would be my second one) and am not sure about whether to keep it at home or in a lot by a lake with the mast up. I'm not sure it would make a huge difference in the time to rig/launch. IMO depends on whether the mast is keel stepped or deck stepped. As certain items would have to be kept at home. Like sails, rudder, motor. Of course I could skip the motor. And live dangerously. As we get lots of gusty winds out here at times.

I live in Colorado FWIW

Dave
Davegator83

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:52 pm

Wow, how did this post sit here unanswered for that long?

There are people who use lifts with a DS and have even written some posts here. A matter of digging.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby pbobbitt » Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:45 pm

FWIW, I keep my DS with the mast stepped on a floating dock. The club to which I'm a member repurposes rollers and winches originally intended for use on trailers to pull the boats on the dock. Most of the fleet that is stored this way are flying scots...
pbobbitt

Postby pbobbitt » Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:50 pm

Pics of setup
Attachments
IMG_7692_small.jpg
IMG_7692_small.jpg (210.24 KiB) Viewed 1350 times
IMG_7691_small.jpg
IMG_7691_small.jpg (217.95 KiB) Viewed 1350 times
pbobbitt

Postby GreenLake » Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:23 pm