daysailer II mast step down process

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

daysailer II mast step down process

Postby breeze » Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:14 am

I just bought a 1979 16 feet ODay, this is my first sailboat. I have sail the ODay 4 times this summer and now is time to put it back behind my garage. I do not have idea how to step down the mast. My Oday mast go all the way to the keel. Could you please through some light?
Regards,
Breeze
Attachments
breeze-pic.JPG
breeze-pic.JPG (97.01 KiB) Viewed 6807 times
breeze

Re: daysailer II mast step down process

Postby tomodda » Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:49 pm

I'd best let GreenLake answer here, but lowering this mast is relatively easy. As long as it's on land, preferably up on a well-secured trailer.

First thing to know, the mast weighs all of 40 pounds. If you can lift a medium-sized dog, you can lift the mast. The only problem is that it's 22 feet long, so a lot of moment arm (lever action!) if you pick it up wrong or if you let it start swinging while not in control. So the trick to lower it while maintaining control at all times. Greenlake will, I hope, give you the exact details, but in principle, you need to:

1) Take the boom and mainsail off
2) Detach the heel of the mast from the keelson (should be a bolt down there somewhere?)
3) Detach all three stays from their deck fittings
4) Stand up on the cuddy, straddling the mast.
5) Pull up on the mast till the heel clears the cuddy top. Do not let it swing! Use both hands, spread well apart
6) Swing the butt of the mast over clear of the boat to either side, and lower it straight down to the ground. You'll need a helper to hold it while on the ground. The mast should stay vertical at all times.
7) Hop down to the ground and walk the mast back down to horizontal. Have your helper control the butt of the mast so that it doesn't go flying as you walk the mast down.

That's it. But read what GL has to say. Bottom line, the mast is light but long, don't let it swing out of control.
tomodda

Postby breeze » Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:05 pm

Thanks tomodda, very helpful.
breeze

Postby breeze » Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:03 am

I got my 7 feet tall with long arms neighbor help me. DONE
breeze

Postby tomodda » Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:07 pm

Glad it worked and everyone is safe.
tomodda

Postby GreenLake » Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:28 pm

For the future, there's a small improvement you can rig. Look for older posts on raising a keel stepped mast. Gives you the benefit of a hinge without having to cut the mast and ruining the sailing characteristics.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby breeze » Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:41 pm

Thanks GreenLake I'll check it out
breeze

Postby GreenLake » Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:15 am

There's a longer post somewhere describing the technique and setup, but there's also a short write-up. "Raising a keel-stepped mast".

The "hinged sleeve" is the essential part. I also looked into a "tripod" but that's mostly useful if you are too short, or lack the strength or dexterity. Otherwise, it's simply too slow, so you should consider a "tripod" only if you've determined that it's necessary in your case.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer II Only