Tiller too long, or bad technique?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Tiller too long, or bad technique?

Postby Quiggers73 » Sat Aug 03, 2024 5:54 pm

So, I found the limits of my DSII today, knocked it on its side, water poured in.
Let out the main, switched sides and up it came.

But something I've been noticing when on the boat with my two kids..

Its really tight to get across when tacking, under the boom, between the main sheet and the tiller.

To the point where I need to free a hand to get over and hence where I got knocked over.

I have a tiller extension, but keep it folded up and its still tight with the kids on there.

Anyone else had the same issue, is it my technique, or do people use a shorter tiller ?
Quiggers73

Re: Tiller too long, or bad technique?

Postby tomodda » Sun Aug 04, 2024 12:56 pm

Seems to me a strange technique to go behind the mainsheet when tacking. As least on my boat (DS1), I go IN FRONT of the mainsheet, hopping over the centerboard trunk. Should be even easier on the DS2, as you have the false floor. As I hop over, I switch hands on the tiller and main - so yes, I let go of the tiller for a sec as I pass the swivel cleat for the mainsheet (which is at the back of the centerboard trunk). You will have to figure out the exact sequence of "Start your tack, move inboard, let go of tiller, hop over trunk, grab tiller, move mainsheet to tiller hand, swap hands" on your own, whatever works for you. A hint - Im usually facing aft as I hop over the trunk, that way I can watch the mainsail, see where I am in my tack based on the wake, and keep myself from getting tangled in the mainsheet. Learn to develop a "feel" for your boat, try sailing with your eyes closed for a few seconds once in a while....

Passengers are "encouraged" to sit right up against the cuddy, forward of the helmsman, where they dont get in the way and balance the boat. I sit on either the side seats or the side deck (usually deck) somewhere in the range of two feet forward to two feet aft of the mainsheet swivel cleat. If I'm singlehanding, then I sit further forward and use the tiller extension. It's all about balancing the boat, which is the most crucial factor for speed, steering, and stability. Read all about it here:

https://forum.daysailer.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=6280

Bottom line, the "neutral" (sails furled) Center of Balance on our Daysailers is right at the aft edge of the cuddy lip, where it curves into the side hull. You want the "live weight" (you + passengers) too be as close to that Center of Balance as possible. In practice, you'll be a bit behind it, but that's OK, you want some weather helm. So, with non-sailor or novice passengers (I'm assuming your children are one of these categories), they are most helpful right up against the cuddy, leaving you free to move around and balance the boat. Bonus points if you can get them to move to the "high side" on tacks. Double bonus if they can fetch and then open beers from the cooler in the cuddy :D. And if they can tend the jibsheet... heaven! Write them into your will! All kidding aside, sailing with my son is one of the greatest joys in my life, we've been doing it since he was 10 (we built a pram together) and he's 39 now, we squeeze in a father-son sailing holiday whenever we can. Treasure those sailing moments with your children, even if you trip over them in the cockpit once in a while....

Wishing you fair winds!

P.S. Oh! I just noticed you are the same fellow with the new-to-me DS2, how do I reef? thread on this forum. I already gave you that link on the basics, sorry! Read and re-read the part about "A Delicate Balance." Sailing a DS is a lot like riding a bicycle, how you shift your weight around matters a lot more than how you turn the handlebars/tiller.
tomodda

Postby GreenLake » Tue Aug 06, 2024 12:39 am

I may be strange, but it never occurred to me to hop over the CB. The DS tiller lifts up, so there's always an opening large enough behind the main.

I probably end up sitting a smidgen too far aft but I have a nasty habit of catching my life jacket on the boom if I get up from a seated position. It's a great piece of kit, but it has a fatal attraction for parts of the rigging ....
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Quiggers73 » Wed Aug 07, 2024 9:08 pm

Ha....thats some great advice from both contributors.

I usually sail with my two boys, 10 and 12..and have one working the jib.

I also find moving across under the boom to cause me to snag, being 6'1" with a fused L5/S1 lol.
I have found the need to lift the boom sometimes hence the needing three hands lol.

But, moving the tiller up honestly never occurred to me. And then facing back also aiding in situational awareness while tacking is golden.

I am pleased to know the boat came up right away once we all shifted. That and the effectiveness of the auto bailer to remove a good foot of water from the cockpit once we got going again.

I think I'll move both kids up front and switch out that position as we all take a turn.

Fantastic advice.
Quiggers73

Return to Day Sailer II Only