main sail boom

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

main sail boom

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:13 pm

I just bought my first boat. I am wondering what holds the boom up? Is it the sail itself or something else?

Dennis (DDITTRICH-at-msn.com)

Postby Roger » Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:35 pm

The sail itself holds the sail up, when it is up, but when down, you may want to install a topping lift... a light line running from the top of the mast to the clew (back end) of the boom. You can make it adjustable to raise it a bit higher when not in use, and to slacken it off and get it out of the way of the leech (back edge) of the sail when sailing. The other option is to use a boom crutch which is exactly as it sounds. A couple of boards (1 x 3 x about 48 inches) that are through bolted together like a pair of scissors about a foot from the top. The boom rests in the small end of the X. Either of these prevent dings to your fiberglass when the boom drops into the boat when lowering the sail.
Roger

Postby Roger » Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:38 pm

I meant the sail itself holds the BOOM up.
Roger

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:16 pm

Thanks Roger for the information. I have the boat in my backyard and my wife and I are trying to set it up before we take it out for the first time.

Dennis (DDITTRICH-at-msn.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:01 pm

I keep 'Sarah' at a marina in the water with a boom tent cover from Sailor's Tailor. I tried a boom crutch but had problems with "design and installation". My solution is simply a 5' oar purchased at West Marine. My floorboards toward the transom have a rectangular cut-out right on plane with the inside edge of the back deck, and the oar fits EXACTLY inside that slot. I trimmed off about 6-8" from the broad end of the oar, notched the handle up top to hold the boom a little tighter, and installed a pintle/gudgeon setup (pintle on the oar, gudgeon on the inside face of the rear deck) to hold it steady. So, just before I lower the sail, I put the oar into place (slotting the pintle into the gudgeon and the paddle into the floor board cut-out), and upon lowering sail simply rest the boom on top of the oar's handle.
I've tried lots of different configurations of boom crutches, but have been very hesitant to drill or cut (which seem necessary to hold it steady), and the topping lift would interfere with the cover. I was also uncomfortable with the boom swaying with the main halyard as a topping lift while docked. This oar solution works great for me....and if you try it and it doesn't work, it only cost you about $30 with no 'scars'.

Tom (tom.beames-at-wachovia.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:01 pm

I am 6'2" and have a problem with an occasional bump on the head from the boom. Is there a way to adjust the height of the boom?

jake (jakeisaac-at-adelphia.net)

Postby Roger » Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:03 pm

Theoretically yes; practically no! In order to maintain a flat sail shape the boom needs to stay at approximately 90 degrees to the mast. Therefore in order to raise the boom, you also have to raise the mast, lengthen the stays etc. In doing this you also affect the heeling of the boat by moving the center of effort on the sail higher and thereby further away from the center of lateral resistance.

Learning to duck or wearing a helmet may be the easier soluttion.
Roger

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:32 am

How old oare your sails? Possibly they are streched a few inches? I just go oem sails from D&R and headroom isnt an issue. If is a signifigant problem for you and you often have high winds......trimming 6" off the bottom of the sail is your only choice.

Harris (hg-at-myhost.com)

Return to Day Sailer II Only