Mast step

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Mast step

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:19 pm

I am seeing some play in the maststep when the mast is not up. I tried loosening the 4 bolts in the step and got nowhere. This should be tigh, right?
Just bought the boat 3 wks ago and we are trying to work out any kinks it has before we take it out.

Dennis (DDITTRICH-at-msn.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:04 am

Mine were loose too when I purchased my boat, but I was able to tighten them up properly.

David Riley (driley-at-ngc.edu)

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:15 pm

Mine are the same way. The core the bolts screw into has rotted away or is stripped out. The solution? A couple of options.

Best repair but hardest to do, remove mast step, cut out a round section of fiber glass 6 inches in diameter, laminate a new treated board into place.

Good repair, alot easier to do. Remove mast step, drill holes even bigger. Fill with thickened epoxy (marine tex is a great product for this). Once cured redrill holes for screws.

Bad repair, easiest to do. Keep sailing, don't worry about it, unless of course your are racing.

CC

Collin Casey (gybe-it-at-ev1.net)

Mast Step

Postby KHFlanagan » Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:45 pm

I was wondering if anyone has attempted to fix a mast step by cutting around the mast step. I have a 1977 O'Day DSII that has a problem with the step. The support below the cuddy floor must be breaking down. The mast band at the cuddy top has moved down at least an inch. I found a small block of wood between the hulls and I think it came from below the mast step under the cuddy floor. I was wondering how best to approach this.

Should I cut a hole for an inspection port near the step? Has anyone taken this approach? I was wondering where to cut the hole for the best access to the step below the cuddy floor and so that there is as little weakening to the floor as possible.

Has anyone cut directly around the mast step? That might be the best way to work on it? If so, how big should the hole be? Maybe it isn't possible to cut the opening so that it is too big.
Kevin
Columbus, OH
KHFlanagan

Postby Roger » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:01 am

Check this site, page two, third picture to see what should be under there and how big a hole to cut to one side of the mast. http://groups.msn.com/RogerConrad/shoebox.msnw?Page=2

There are two foam stringers that runs from one side of the sole to the other just in front of and just behind the mast, ( about 10 inches apart) so you don't want to cut that. If you cut an access port about a foot to one side of the mast you will be able to access the support under it for repair.
Roger

Return to Day Sailer II Only