roller furling

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

roller furling

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:10 pm

Has anyone put a roller furling system on a daysailer II. I would like to put one onto my 1980 dausailer II.

Thanks

Al Villar (weddingcam-at-optonline.net)

Postby Roger » Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:21 am

I am planning to do so this spring. I have all the parts, and will be attaching a sun strip to the foot and leech of my jib shortly. I am not sure if the gadget is called true roller furling, but what it is, is a swivel at the tack and head of the jib. The lower part that attaches to the tack and the stemhead is a block with guides through which a 3/16 inch line runs in a continuous loop back through fairleads to the cuddy top where it can be clam cleated. The sun strip is about 1 foot wide along the foot and leech and when the sail is rolled up, it totally protects the sail from the sun. I have a matching cover for the main.

I suspect that in practical useage, the halyard needs to be slacked just slightly so that the gizmo works, then needs to be snugged again afterward. You will have to remove any jib hanks if you have them, as it will interfere with the rolling of the sail. I also understand that with this kind of system, the sail is either furled, or not, there is no have measure whereby you can evvectively sail with less jib area exposed. The force would cause too much twist on the luff wire, and essentially, unroll your jib.
Roger

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:52 am

I purchaed the harken type for small sailboat model 435 that comes with 2 pieces .A line must be added to the bottom roller so the jib can be furled and unfurled. that line runs back to the cockpit.
And of course a wire line must be attached to the jib.
I need to know if anyone has used this system and knows if this system will work.
Thanks

al villar (weddingcam-at-optonline.net)

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:05 pm

My Hunter had this same system. The only thing I didn't like about it was the inability to pull the jib down with dropping the mast. This is because the wire that goes in the luff of the jib replaces the forstay.

Collin

Collin Casey (gybe-it-at-houston.rr.com)

roller furling update

Postby Roger » Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:08 am

Thanks Mike for asking me to update this thread.

As indicated in my February posting from this year, I did attach the roller furler as described in my posting. I unfortunately do not have any pictures of it close up, but for the most part it worked fine. the endless line that furls the jib was stictched end to end, then hot melted (welded) together with a lighter, then covered over with epoxy then ground smooth with a dremmel tool and re-epoxied and siliconed. The total length of 'stiffness' is about 1/2" and does not seem to cause a problem around the knurled furler block. The line itself is 3/16" braid going back to a mini block on the cuddy top port side.

I did leave the jib hanks on because on a really windy day, the jib halyard just cannot be tightened up enough to take out the slump and keep the luff near the forestay. I still use the jib hanks on some days. If they are not attached to the forestay, they do not interfere with the furling sail.

The snap swivel at the top is fine, but works (twirls) better if the jib halyard is slacked a bit. If I were to improve this system, this is where I would do it. I would try a ball bearing swivel.

The suncover as described in my earlier post is adequate to provide the protection for the sail. I wouldn't do any thing different there.

The system really shines as I come into the wind just before motoring to the dock. I can quickly furl the jib and lower the main and attach it to the boom, (I installed a topping lift).

When going out, simply heaving on the jib sheets is not adequate to unfurl the jib, because the endless line runs through a clam cleat ahead of the turning block at the cuddy roof. I have to uncleat and unfurl with the endless line, then snug up the sheets.

I dry sail, and the boat compound is only about 500 yards from the ramp, so with no overhead wires, I am able to keep the mast up and the sails furled for the whole summer. I have a sail cover for the main as well. Just for entra insurance however, I have a tie that goes around the bundle of the jib at the clew end and when I tie it, I take a wrap with this line around the forestay as well. It just prevents the furled jib from whipping around in the wind as much.

Next spring I want to install nav lights so that I can stay out after dark. I think the best place for the bow light would be at the front of the cuddy cabin on the top as putting it behind the stemhead and furler would hide the light from dead ahead. This would shorten the run for the wires to the battery as well.
Roger

Return to Day Sailer II Only