I lost my DS III centerboard!

Regarding the DS3 only. Note that the DS3 is not a class-legal Day Sailer.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: I lost my DS III centerboard!

Postby GreenLake » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:34 am

If you really took 3/8" off that is a lot. Be aware that the strength in a board like this can rest in the "skin". You may consider sanding off a bit more and then adding not only neat epoxy but a layer or two of fiberglass. Not necessarily cloth, but the kind that has most strands going in one direction (parallel to the long direction of the board).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby SMichelsen » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:47 am

I hope everyone has had a good winter.

Four months have passed and I am ready to get this thing put back together. I am now tasked with measuring the centerboard to be sure I place and drill the hole where the pivot goes, and placing the connection for the cables to raise and lower the c/b. What's disturbing me at this very moment is that I am not sure I have the entire kit from DRMarine in front of me. Here's their photo of the DS II/III c/b kit, and the collection of parts I have. I only have one metal strap! And interestingly their photo doesn't show the pivot, which was part of the kit. So either I managed to lose a part over the winter or they neglected to include it. Ouch. Anyway, I am off to visit my boat, tip it over and do some measuring.

Regarding the pivot, I believe the best answer to secure it to the c/b is using epoxy or fiberglass resin to glue it in. The c/b pivots on top of the two inserts (in the pics on the table, and in the boat) so there's no reason that I can see for the pivot to rotate INSIDE the c/b.

Steve
Attachments
cb retainers, in place.jpg
cb retainers, in place.jpg (96.72 KiB) Viewed 8055 times
cb parts.jpg
cb parts.jpg (174.91 KiB) Viewed 8055 times
DRMarine O'Day Daysailer II-III CB bkit.jpg
DRMarine O'Day Daysailer II-III CB bkit.jpg (62.16 KiB) Viewed 8055 times
SMichelsen

Postby GreenLake » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:21 am

I wish I had something constructive to tell you, but the pivot setup w/ wedges is something that I only know from reading about it here over the years. If you're short a part, definitely discuss your options w/ Rudy, although, if it's just a metal strip, you may be able to source your own.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby SMichelsen » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:33 pm

I spoke to Rudy at DRMarine. Amazingly, he remembered a conversation I had with him back in December. It seems that the DS3 C/B only needs one metal cable - for the uphaul. So it's all good.
SMichelsen

Postby GreenLake » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:24 pm

Rudy is a treasure!
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby SMichelsen » Sun May 02, 2021 9:25 pm

SUCCESS with the install of the donated centerboard (thanks again John). I installed the hardware (the cable assembly from DRMarine and a line for the downhaul) at home. This involved drilling two 1" diameter holes in the DS1 board and filling in the existing square hole. Unnerving but it seems I calculated the correct spots for them. I installed the CB at my sailing assoc using the little crane to tip the boat as usual. I set the metal cable for the uphaul on dry land but put the boat in the water to set and test the downhaul. I lifted the boat out of the water just a bit to confirm that the CB was sitting where it should when the downhaul line was pulled. It was - see the pic!

Though I will be sailing with this CB for a little while, I felt I had to order a new one anyway. This board is "soft" in the center area - you can press down and get about 1/4" or more of "give". It is solid around the edges and near the holes. It ought to hold up until I can replace it but I am concerned it will give out someday if I do not.

When I get the new board in front of me and have set it up, I will post pictures with dimensions of the locations of the various elements. The board surprisingly comes without holes predrilled, which only adds to the excitement when it's all assembled.
Attachments
downhaul.jpg
downhaul.jpg (185.56 KiB) Viewed 7992 times
installing the Centerboard.jpg
installing the Centerboard.jpg (217.24 KiB) Viewed 7992 times
SMichelsen

Postby Vanalien » Mon May 03, 2021 1:58 pm

Are you sure that’s a DS III? It looks just like my 1985 DS II.
Steve
"Nellie Ruth" - 1985 DS2 Anniversary Edition #12819
Little Canada, MN
Vanalien

Postby SMichelsen » Mon May 03, 2021 6:11 pm

Vanalien, do you have any photos of the interior of your boat? I have been back and forth on the issue of my boat being a II or a III. For reasons I cannot recall I settled on it being a III. I will try to dig out something authoritative that describes the differences. OR if someone here can say for sure, please chime in!

Steve
SMichelsen

Postby GreenLake » Mon May 03, 2021 7:13 pm

Vanalien wrote:Are you sure that’s a DS III? It looks just like my 1985 DS II.

Interior views in a video - look for his older posts.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Alan » Mon May 03, 2021 7:54 pm

I'm thinking it's a III, rather than a II, although the two models look a great deal alike.

The biggest differences between them are that the aft freeboard in the III is taller than in the II, and that the DSIII jib sheet cars are mounted on top of the coamings, in molded pockets, rather than on the inner sides as with the DSII.

Your photo of the boat hanging from the crane shows the jib sheet cars on top of the coamings, so that suggests to me that it's a III. Your transom looks a tad higher than mine (1980 DSII) and the bottom corners, while rounded, are a little more squared off (that could be just the way the photo looks, though).

There's a chart of hull identification numbers for the Daysailer range here:

https://daysailer.org/Hull-Index

which gives the HIN range for the DSII, but not the III. However, you could assume that if your HIN is not within the listed DS II range, it's a III.

One more thing to check, which may or may not help: My DSII transom is 17-1/2 inches high from top to bottom at the center (the highest point). If yours is taller than that, you've probably got a III.
Alan

Postby SMichelsen » Mon May 03, 2021 8:28 pm

Yes, right, check out this 360VR video of my DS ... https://youtu.be/b3gd5_fAtbY
Be sure to store around to see the interior of the boat.
SMichelsen

Postby Alan » Mon May 03, 2021 10:22 pm

Yeah, I remember that excellent video--I watched it quite a few times when you first posted it. It was really excellent to be able to rotate the image, unlike a lot of sailing videos where the camera just offers a narrow window.

One other detail that suggests DSIII to me: at 3:09-3:10 and elsewhere in the video, behind you and to your right, the ridge on top of the coaming looks like it wraps around onto the transom. On the DSII, it goes straight aft and stops. I'll see if I can get a photo soon.

Adding in edit: Aha. Looking at the video at about one minute in, your transom is higher on the port and starboard sides, with the center being lower. On the DSII, the transom is highest in the center, with a gradual downward curve to port and starboard.
Alan

Postby SMichelsen » Tue May 04, 2021 12:27 am

Alrighty then - I have a DS3 - yay! Thank you, Alan, for getting to the bottom of it all.

Looking forward to installing that new centerboard. I am going to give the current one a test drive tomorrow though. The new one should be here in a few days. Rudy at DR Marine was able to use an old template, made of fiberglass by O'Day (!), to mark up the board showing where the holes need to go. Fantastic. Here's a picture of the template that he used.
Attachments
O'Day centerboard template.jpg
O'Day centerboard template.jpg (205.52 KiB) Viewed 7970 times
SMichelsen

Postby SMichelsen » Tue May 04, 2021 9:58 pm

Took a two hour cruise today. The CB held up just fine. It has a problem raising and lowering - it didn't want to be set in the down position at the start - I had to lift the boat out of the water with the hoist to get the CB to drop via gravity. Then at the end it only got raised about 50% I attribute this to (A) the old, modified board, and (B) my unskilled modifications and rigging. Here's hoping things go better with the "correct" CB that's in the mail right now.
SMichelsen

Previous

Return to Day Sailer III Only