Stains in cockpit

Regarding the DS3 only. Note that the DS3 is not a class-legal Day Sailer.

Moderator: GreenLake

Stains in cockpit

Postby jefflw » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:44 am

There are a number of stains in the cockpit of my 1985 DS3. I assume the deck is all plastic? Some of the stains seem like they are within the 'plastic'. The others are mostly rust stains (looks like someone left some objects sitting for some time in the weather).

What product can be used to safely remove the rust stains without damaging the deck? What can be done to remove the stains that seem to be contained within the plastic?

There are also a number of cracks.

Is there a product that can be applied to cover the entire deck and will stand up to the elements etc.
jefflw

Postby Bob Damon » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:45 pm

A friend of mine used a product called Iron Out. It is a powder to be mixed in water. He had major brown stains and they came out in minutes. It is apparently available at Lowes. Good Luck
Bob Damon
Class Measurer

Postby jefflw » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:41 pm

I bought some Iron Out today and will try it on the rust.

The frustrating thing I found thismorning were all these little circular stains on one side of the deck. They range in size from 1/4 inch to 1 inch. Each one either has bug or something that came from a tree in the middle...ive had no luck cleaning this off. Almost like they are part of the boat now. Any ideas what these are and how to remove?
jefflw

Postby adam aunins » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:36 pm

This might be something for you to look at http://forums.oday.sailboatowners.com/s ... &styleid=1

I used "comet with bleach" to scrub all of the junk off of my boat when I first got it. Soft scrub might also work on the bug junk, or if really bad you can wet sand things out.
adam aunins

Return to Day Sailer III Only