Mast Heel joint on DS3

Regarding the DS3 only. Note that the DS3 is not a class-legal Day Sailer.

Moderator: GreenLake

Mast Heel joint on DS3

Postby jefflw » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:01 pm

Ive loaded 3 photos of the mast/heel joint on my DS3. This is how it was when I bought it. Obviously someone did a repair job. I'm just worried that it was not a very good one.
The mast does not sit squarely on the heel, you may be able to tell some gaps. The nuts that hold the plate in place need to be tightend a little (the plate is bent a little, somewhat from the bolts being overtightend I think - not by me). Just wondering its safe to sail with it like this or if I need to redo the repair. If so how I should go about it. It looks like original bolts/rivets were removed and new bolts screws inserted in new holes.

Photo links are:
jefflw

Postby Ebach » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:36 am

I just purchased a DS III with a mast which has come unattached from the step ("heel joint"). The previous owner tried to rivet it back together, but the bottom of the mast flaired out and it twisted off the step. I'm also looking for a way to safely reconnect these parts. Let me know what you figure out. I'm considering adding an aluminum sleeve over the base of the mast to prevent further flairing, but I'm hoping someone else has a better solution. Good luck.
Ebach

Postby talbot » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:44 pm

This is an old post, but no one seems to have responded. I suspect it's safe to sail as is, but you can get a replactment step from D&R Marine. I suspect someone lowered the mast after forgetting to remove the forward bolt that hold the mast to its pedestal. The rivets or screws that were holding the mast step probably sheared off, but not before bending the step.

I've done this myself a couple of times. I always fasten by step with aluminum rivets rather than steel screws, so that if I make the mistake again, the rivets will shear off quickly and the mast step will stay attached to the mast. Keep in mind that it is the stay and shrouds that hold up the mast. The rivents don't have to be very strong in normal use.
talbot

Postby redtailseven » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:22 am

I have been asked to help repair a similar problem. I have always heard the part referred to as a tabernacle. D and R has a tabernacle listed for the DS I and II. I have a II and it looks like the same part. Can you guys shed any light on that?

My approach to the problem will be (if I can find the part) will be to cut about 3/4 inch off the mast with a miter saw. Then I'll replace the screws. I'll have to move the hardware up also, of course.
Redtail 7 honors the Tuskeegee Airmen
redtailseven

Postby FF26 Truck » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:27 pm

Your solution makes sense to me, that was what was going through my head as I was considering options for this type of repair. I would cut off enough to get to a clean part of the mast while still having enough adjustment in your shroud and forestay turnbuckles to get them tensioned properly. Having to shorten the shrouds may get a bit expensive. Good luck with your repair.
FF26 Truck

Postby redtailseven » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:03 am

If I have a problem with the shrouds or the main stay I may be able put a block under the mast shoe to compensate for the shoretening of the mast.
Redtail 7 honors the Tuskeegee Airmen
redtailseven

Return to Day Sailer III Only