Main Sheet Fiddle Block mounting

Regarding the DS3 only. Note that the DS3 is not a class-legal Day Sailer.

Moderator: GreenLake

Main Sheet Fiddle Block mounting

Postby beetee » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:34 am

I have a Daysailer 3 which has the main sheet fiddle block mounted on the aft end of the centerboard trunk. The smaller sheave is cracking so I bought a Gerhauer replacement block but the base is slightly larger than the original Gerhauer and has 4 screw holes rather than the 3 of the original. Has anyone replaced the same item and faced the same situation? If so, how did you handle the mounting? Also, I'm curious if the original is screwed into the fiberglass of the trunk or if it's bolted with some sort of backing plate or washers inside of the trunk. If it's bolted, can you get access via the underside of the trunk with the centerboard dropped down?
beetee

Postby TIM WEBB » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:01 am

I had the same issue on The Red Witch (DS2). The original standup block's sheaves were brittle and cracked, so I bought the Garhauer fiddle from D&R. The old and the new both have 4 mounting bolts, but with different spacing, so I had a local machine shop make an adapter from a 2-3/4" square, 1/2" thick aluminum block. The adapter bolts to the trunk and the new block bolts to that. The holes in the trunk are threaded - no nuts on the inside of the trunk:
Last edited by TIM WEBB on Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TIM WEBB

Thanks Tim

Postby beetee » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:05 pm

Thanks for the quick response. Winds must be calm or it's raining down in Fla.

I looked at the picture you posted and that looks like a good solution. Did you thread the holes in the adapter plate for the block attachment or did you countersink for some nuts on the bottom.

The cleat I use for my centerboard control lines is getting a little loose. I saw your setup. Did you screw into the glass or work out some sort of backing plate inside the trunk? I'm always a little nervous about screwing into fiberglass but if there's not a lot of tension I guess it could be OK. Curious what you did.

Thanks again
beetee

Postby TIM WEBB » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:26 pm

<laugh> No, conditions have actually been pretty good for sailing down here, with a nice sea breeze in the evenings. There are a few brush fires burning in the area though, and lots of smoke in the air ... :(

Had a nice after work cruise last night and proceeded to break my vang, so that's today's chore. That and stripping the black paint off my spars - they get too hot to touch when they've been out in the FL sun!

Here's a diagram of the adapter. The smaller holes are the original spacing for the old, square-based block. They are countersunk, but not tapped. The larger holes are tapped, and accept the bolts for the new block. I suppose I could have made the adapter round, to match the base of the new one, but just didn't think of it.
The old CB horn cleat was loose, so I did the clam cleat setup. Used SS sheet metal screws, same as what held on the old cleat. So far so good ...
TIM WEBB

Return to Day Sailer III Only