Drain Plugs

Regarding the DS3 only. Note that the DS3 is not a class-legal Day Sailer.

Moderator: GreenLake

Drain Plugs

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 17, 2001 9:36 am

I recently bought a Daysailer III. I have a question about the cockpit drain plug. I understand the cockpit is supposed to be self-bailing, so assume you leave the drain hole open. I noted the bottom drain has a ball closure to retard water coming in, so assume that when the cockpit water level reaches a certain point the pressure will move the ball aside and allow the water to drain out. So far, there never seems to be more than an inch of water in the cockpit well.

However, I am getting water in the bilges. I just tightened the exterbal drain plug, so maybe this was what it needed. I assume you leave the bilge drain plug in except when you take the boat out of the water.

Appreciate any feedback on this subject.

Carroll Bewley (cbewley-at-lr.net)

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 17, 2001 9:30 pm

Caroll, both assumptions are correct!

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 04, 2001 8:28 pm

A couple of years ago, I bought my DSIII at a military salvage store ...hull only. Turns out its an '86 and cleaned up real good. I had a 'serious' water problem, and after careening the boat, discovered a hole in the fiberglass at the top of the molding where the centerboard pivot fits. Don't know how it got there, but it took a 3/8" dowel dipped in resin to plug it. Also discovered that the screws that hold the plates that hold the centerboard pivot in go all the way through the fiberglass into the bilge. Make sure they are well-sealed.
Boat gets splashed tomorrow, so we'll see if the fix works.

Jack Walp (jwalp-at-coastalnet.com)

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 07, 2001 10:57 pm

Jack, how'd your splash go? I plunked mine in for the first time today, and after reading so much about drain plugs and C/B gaskets, I was a bit worried. However, two and a half hours in the water and I had maybe an inch...which sounds about normal.

Only curse of the day was the lack of wind...put a trolling motor off the transom which helped, but I'll be back!

Fair winds.

Tom (TBeames65-at-cs.com)

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 08, 2001 10:45 pm

Tom, 1" of water in the bilge after 2 hours of sailing is NOT normal! My boat is in the water 24/7 from May through September, and unless it has rained and the rainwater found it's way into the bilge, (...it does happen) my bilge is so dry that it gets dusty! You must have a leak somewhere.

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 12, 2001 2:11 pm

I've been trailer-sailing my DS III in the Hudson River for about 5 years. The hull will get water from the centerboard if the plates holding the pin are not sealed yearly with marine sealant. Also, if left uncovered in rain, some water may seep in thru ports in cockpit on either side of CB trunk. Make sure you plug the cockpit drain before you put boat in. Only open it up to drain out after a sail or else seepage will occur and you'll suddenly discover a few inches of water sloshing around! I had reefing points installed by Sail Care after my first season and the boat is much more manageable with a reefed main in any kind of real wind when single handing. My rudder seems to be from a Mariner, anybody else find that too? It's and '86 with the rde/yellow/orange striped sails and beige/white hull.

Peter Tenerowicz (peteten-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 17, 2001 7:52 am

Hi Peter.
Your note caught my eye. I also have a Day Sailer similar to yours. I thought it was a DS II but after reading your note, it may be a DS III. It is a 1986 made by O'Day, Sail # 12977. The sails are same color as yours. Hull is beige with white deck. I was thinking of naming boat "Cafe' O'DAy" ( get it? kinda coffee-colored hull..)
How do you deal with the centerboard mechanism to apply sealant ? Do you careen the boat on its side? Or flip over ? Is there any easy way ?? !!
The CB seems to work harder than the CB in an older Day Sailer I had in 60's with the handle. Really gotta pull on the up/down lines.

Had it out once so far this summer, at Cape Cod.

Dave Roscoe East Bridgewater MA

Dave Roscoe (w1dwz-at-rcn.com)

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 18, 2001 1:00 pm

Hi Dave, I apply the sealant while the boat is on the trailer in the Spring after having dried out all Winter in my brother-in-law's garage. I just smear the heck out of the screw heads, edges of the plates, ALL OVER the place so that water can't penetrate. I trailer sail so that helps a lot. After a sail, while still at the ramp, (I just did this last night after a 3 hour sail in the River, just me and a guy in a McGregor 21, we had the river all to ourselves!) I pull out any weeds, sticks, etc. that are hanging out of the centerboard trunk. This is the most common cause of a hard working board, things getting jammed up inside the trunk and interfering with the rope pendant up in there. Also, check inside the cuddy and make sure the pulleys, springs, lines in there are running freely and lubricate once in a while. Sometimes the boat heels over and extra life jackets, anchor bag, etc. jam up the lines and you may not notice it. I really like this little boat! I didn't like the colored sails at first, but I've had a lot of positive comments on them from sailors and non-sailors alike. My sides are fading and waxing does't seem to help, it's getting blotchy probably from the sun but I don't want to mess with rubbing compounds, etc. I'd rather have the integrity of the original finish. Does a lot aof sailing go on in your area?

pete tenerowicz (peteten-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:50 am

I just bought a 1987 Daysailer III. It is a great boat except that it seems to leak about 1/2 gallon of water per hour into the bilge. We left it in the water for a week after the first time that we sailed. When we opened the caps to the bilge, it was full of water. I have hauled it out and tried to seal around the metal centerboard plate with sealer but it is still leaking. Should I haul it out and remove each centerboard bolt and reseal? I certainly need some help as I cannot leave it in the water under these conditions.

Sam Foster (mbmaturo-at-comcast.net)

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:15 pm

Try trailering the boat, let the water runoff, put some water in the bilge with a hose and see where the water leaks out. This should be where the water is leaking in as well.

Pete Tenerowicz (peteten-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Roger » Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:01 am

Thank you so much Pete. I hadn't thought of that. Now perhaps I have half a hope of finding and fixing that leak.
Roger

Return to Day Sailer III Only