New Guy! Just got a DS III

Regarding the DS3 only. Note that the DS3 is not a class-legal Day Sailer.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: New Guy! Just got a DS III

Postby morrisammo » Wed May 11, 2016 5:35 pm

I have been , working on the Trailer, the past few days,, pretty much got it, all fixed up wire brushed it paint,, new rollers, all that,,

got the boat up on big saw horses I built,, the pic,, for some reason will not load today,,

got the center board out, and will paint it, put a new rope on it,, and re install!

still waiting on some parts from D&R,, but until I get the boat all painted,, its no rush!
morrisammo

Postby tinafred » Fri May 13, 2016 9:54 pm

I was looking at your new boat for awhile on Craigslist. I bought the one from Lake Conroe on the Houston craigslist. Is your trailer original to the Daysailer or an aftermarket trailer? I am in Universal City just down the street and will be mostly sailing Canyon Lake. Good luck to both of us.
tinafred

Postby morrisammo » Fri May 13, 2016 11:53 pm

Small world we live in,,,

I don't think the trailer is original DS.
It fit OK,, I put a lot of work and some $$$ updating it, all new rollers, winch ,, a mast post. new tires, did some wielding,, new lights,

the boat Hull, was not in bad shape, the rigging spars,, were total trash,, and the sails,, did not make it. so lots of new stuff is on the way,,

I'm slowly getting parts from D&R,, the Ups man,, is a DS fan now,, as he has been to the house now every 2 or 3 days, with some part, paint,, trailer stuff for the project.
I just got new license plates for the trailer today as well.

I got the hull all sanded out and got the first coat of paint on it today. looks like it will take 3 coats.
then I'll get it back on the trailer, and do the top sides,, fix the rigging on the mast.
and hope D&R delivers the rest of the parts. and new Sails!!

I'll sail it in Lake Belton, 15 min from the house. at this time, the lake is 6 feet overflowed and the boat ramp is not open.
so I have some time to get the boat done. I just want to get it done, and I'll be ready to get it in the lake,, as soon as the water goes down!
morrisammo

Postby tinafred » Fri May 20, 2016 1:31 am

What paint did you use? Most forum suggestions are for Awlgrip and the product description from the manufacturer reads really good. I want to change the color of my DS3 to candy apple red or royal blue. I build furniture therefore my shop has various power sanding tools from 50 in drum sander to hand sanding blocks but I have never worked on fiberglass. How bad was the sanding?
tinafred

Postby morrisammo » Wed May 25, 2016 11:32 am

http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-207000 ... ge_o01_s00

Took One QT per coat for the Oust side hull,, for the first two coats, a half qt for the 3rd.

I'm going to drop it back on the trailer tonight after work and work on the top side.

I'm still waiting on a few parts and the Sails,, but the rest will be ready! soon.
morrisammo

Postby morrisammo » Wed May 25, 2016 11:35 am

Oh ya the sanding was not bad, and the Hull was in pretty good shape,, just a lil filler, and a 5 inch orbital sander, only took two hours, give or take,,, with breaks,, with 80 grit,,, I was not going for a gloss,, high speed paint job, semi gloss white,,, so it was easy,,
morrisammo

Postby morrisammo » Tue May 31, 2016 2:20 pm

I'm getting excited D&R is going to ship my new sails, today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then I can say I have a Sailboat,,,

not just a boat.
morrisammo

Postby morrisammo » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:38 pm

morrisammo wrote:I'm getting excited D&R is going to ship my new sails, today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then I can say I have a Sailboat,,,

not just a boat.

This is the weekend,, I will get to sail my DS the first time. the lakes were over full and they are finally low enough to get to the boat ramp,,
Very excited!!!

test rigged the boat,, all the parts from D&R fit very well,, the new sails are very good quality! I'm impressed!
morrisammo

Previous

Return to Day Sailer III Only