Day Sailer III

Regarding the DS3 only. Note that the DS3 is not a class-legal Day Sailer.

Moderator: GreenLake

Day Sailer III

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 18, 1998 12:00 am

I have recently purchased a Day Sailer III - from a listing on this page! I would like to know the major differences between a DSII and a DSIII. I read the III's hull is "modified" - what does this mean? Are there any other differences in rigging and centerboard configuration?

John Wilson (jwils-at-soc.duke.edu)

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 25, 1999 1:00 am

I just picked up a '91 DS3 yesterday, and will quote from the original O'Day sales brochure:<BLOCKQUOTE>"Now the Day Sailer 3 has arrived. The most important improvement is the higher freeboard in the aft sections, increasing load-carrying slightly, but, more importantly, making the cockpit dryer. And, there are more changes for the better. The cockpit area has been greatly improved with angled coamings (seatbacks) that make sailing more comfortable. The corners of the cockpit have been radiused and faceted to reduce sharp angles, and the flange joining hull and deck has been extended to offer more protection for the hull when docking, and is easier to sit on. The deck and cockpit are made with a non-skid pattern molded in to offer sure footing and stay-put seating. Single-handed sailors will be pleased with the new jib sheet/cam cleat arrangement that allows a fair lead to any cockpit seating position." "The Day Sailer 3 has the same basic hull form as the original, the same sailplan and the same displacement." "There's plenty of safety built in, too. There's a self-bailing cockpit, positive flotation, and the Day Sailer 3 can be self-rescued by a normal crew under reasonable conditions."</BLOCKQUOTE>I think roller furling on the DS3 was standard also. I'm really impressed by the length of the cockpit. Seems huge. I think mine was a Pearson/O'Day build.

Tom Martin (tomm-at-cisco.com)

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 08, 1999 12:00 am

I have the opportunity to purchase a DS III. It appears lighter rigged than other DS I've seen. What have been your experiences with the boats? And the other question is how does the centerboard work? There appears to be only one rope attached to it? Does gravity keep it down and the rope pull it back up or is a rope missing to lower it? Did either of your boats come with spinnakers? Thanks in advance.

Joe Fram (jofram-at-zeus.kern.org)

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 19, 1999 12:00 am

I bought my Day Sailer III in 1987. Until last week when I read the article on "How to Buy a Day Sailer" I was not aware that the III did not meet class specs because of haul modifications. I bought my boat new and from an authorized Oday dealer. Anyhow, I love mine and have trully enjoyed it for leisure sailing.

Carlos Roman (roman2-at-strato.net)

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 27, 1999 12:00 am

Joe: there should be two lines for the centerboard, one to raise and one to lower - the line to lower should be wrapped round a small cleat on the center board trunk

john wilson (jwils-at-soc.duke.edu)

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 27, 1999 12:00 am

If anyone is interested in purchasing a used DS III with no sails, no rudder/tiller, centerboard requiring re-attachment of a line, a damaged hull and a trailer requiring new bearing, one is located at Voyageur at Marina Del Rey in California. This one requires more work than I was interested in investing!

Joe Fram (jofram-at-zeus.kern.org)

Return to Day Sailer III Only