Hatchboard Finish

Regarding the DS3 only. Note that the DS3 is not a class-legal Day Sailer.

Moderator: GreenLake

Hatchboard Finish

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:52 pm

The hatchboards on my 1986 DS III seem to be teak, Can they be sanded down and polyurethaned
or must teak oil only be used? If so, is sanding needed first?

Peter Tenerowicz (peteten-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Roger » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:38 am

My understanding of teak is that there are only two ways to treat it, with teak oil or leave it weather.

Having said that, how you proceed may depend on whether the wood is plywood with veneer, (as were mine) or solid teak. If the latter, you can sand down to new wood, then oil or let it weather. If it is ply (mine were in really bad shape) you might consider building from scratch. This was the option I took and made a single hatch board out of mahogany ply.
Roger

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:35 pm

Teak oil is fine for interior cabin work, but as exposed to weather without cover, it is completely useless. You have to redo it at least every three weeks and it looks horible. For a first class yachty look, sand lightly and apply three coats of polyurethane exterior varnish, labled as having a UV inhibitor. You may need to touch up in following years, but you should get at least 4 or 5 years out of it. Then strip it and start over. Too many coats and the stripping is unnecessary a little harder. I used the teak oil once in the last 40 years, but learned my lesson the hard way. What ever you do, I wouldn't let it go gray either.

John C. Jr. (ghampe-at-rcn.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:58 pm

The cuddy boards are teak plywood, I have mine varnished. The previous 2 owners had painted them, but I sanded all the paint off the outside and varnished (4-6 coats initial, 2 light coats each Spring). I'm hoping to order a new set of the boards rhis Winter from Rudy at D&R Marine, they will be varnished.

Rod Johnson (daysailermanual-at-juno.com)

Return to Day Sailer III Only