Rudder build seen on the horizon.

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Rudder build seen on the horizon.

Postby baggywrinkle » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:50 am

Before I build a DS rudder I thought I should ask if someone has one they'd part with. However I'm in Hawaii. Maybe I could have two built for the cost of shipping one from most anywhere else. I'll have to find the shipping weight of a rudder. Please let me know if you can help.

Thanks !!
Last edited by baggywrinkle on Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
baggywrinkle

Re: Need a DS rudder please

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:44 pm

Building a serviceable rudder will set you back about two weekends. One for the rough work (making head and blade, including shaping), one for sanding and finishing.

Results will be miles better than a stock rudder.

A "perfect" rudder will require getting some experience with very accurate realization of foil shapes. However, even an approximate foil shape will beat the performance of the squashed hexagon profile of the stock rudder, and you might appreciate a wooden rudder that doesn't drag down your stern, but instead will float.

Or you can build an "indestructible" rudder - also an improvement and decidedly essential in some scenarios. Includes changes to the pivot to allow the rudder to come out of the water fully. You will find threads on both kinds of projects on the forum. The "indestructible" designs tend to use metal (at least for the rudder head).

I've builta "serviceable" rudder. It performs well, but is not strong enough for rough usage. I've sailed it up to 25kn of wind, but in flat water and to/from a dock not a beach. Both rudder head and blade could have been reinforced with carbon strips of the proper dimension for added strength. (I didn't know about that when I designed mine - if you want to discuss it, let's do it in the proper thread as these posts here get erased in 60 days).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby baggywrinkle » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:46 am

Thanks GreenLake !

So far it looks like I will be building a rudder. I just read your 2011 rudder build thread, thank you. I may start a thread in the same section of the forum when the time comes. I like your suggestion of a buoyant material. I was thinking of using some pieces of a fiberglass wreck's hull someone offered me.
baggywrinkle

Postby GreenLake » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:32 pm

Wood is by far the easiest material.

I'm moving this thread to the repairs section, so that it doesn't get deleted and then you can just add further discussion. (You can edit the "subject" of your first post, and that will change the thread title to whatever you like).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:41 pm

Wood is by far the easiest material.

Seal it against moisture with epoxy and give it a sheath of glass cloth for a bit of scratch resistance.

If worried about strength, carve a small, say 2" wide channel either side along the widest point and lay 2-3 layers of some unidirectional roving. As the rudder bends, that will take up some/most of the stress. I didn't bother, but I'm not sailing in a strong wind area. (Similar reinf. for the rudder head, but there you can just add it on the outside as you are not constrained in depth as for the foil).

Instead of using plywood, consider laminating the blank from strips of wood with alternating grain. Like this: \\\\ //// \\\\. That seems to be the preferred method. Adds about a day, or part of it; still negligible compared to fairing and painting. Will possibly need more clamps than you own :)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby baggywrinkle » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:10 am

Thanks so much GreenLake !

I'll get to rudder building after CB optimization. The seller is not yet done searching for my rudder. Hoping it turns up.
baggywrinkle

Return to Repair and Improvement