Looking for crew

Discussion of events open to DaySailers

Moderator: GreenLake

Looking for crew

Postby jeadstx » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:33 pm

I'm getting ready for the next Texas 200 in June. My cousin who has sailed with me the past two years is unable to go this year, so I'm looking for someone to sail with me on the event. I can single hand the boat (tried it in 2010, didn't finish), but prefer to have someone else along as the winds are usually strong and I find it nice to have someone else along to sail with. Many of the boats recommend having someone else along, although some do single hand it. If anyone is interested in this event, please let me know.

As for information for the Tx200, the official dates of the event are from June 10th to the 14th (those are the actual sailing days). We would leave Dripping Springs (20 miles west of Austin, Texas) for Port Isabel on Friday June 7th, about a 7 hour drive). Check into the motel. The motel also has a marina and restaurant and is the official starting point of the event. We would launch the boat on Saturday morning June 8th. Vehicles and trailers are moved on Sunday the 9th, only I have to do that. Skippers mwwting is around 7am, vehicle moving follows at the end of the meeting. Crew would get to stay at the motel in Port Isabel and hang out and visit with the other sailors or get the boat ready. Trailer moving takes all day. Vehicles and trailers are driven to the end point and a bus ride is provided for the trip back to Port Isabel.

Sailing starts early on Monday the 10th (6-7am, earlier if possible). We sail all week and arrive at Magnolia Beach, Texas on Matgorda Bay on Friday the 14th. Stay in a motel for the night and head back to Austin on Saturday the 15th (about a 3 hour drive). Friday evening there is a shrimp boil/dinner provided at Magnolia Beach. The places for camping along the way are Monday night at Port Mansfield or Port Mansfield Jetties (about 43 mile sail). Tuesday night is at an island on the ICW near Baffin Bay (about 45 miles). Wednesday will be a sail across Corpus Christi Bay and past Port Aransas (dodging the ferries at the State Highway crossing) to a shell beach 8 to 10 miles north of Port Aransas (about a 50 mile sail). Thursday’s camp is at a place called Army Hole. Army Hole is an abandoned WWII Army Air Corps airfield that was abandoned when WWII ended. The runways and docks are still there. That is about a 40 mile sail. On Friday we sail to Magnolia Beach on Matagorda Bay which should be a short day with about a 25 mile sail.

This event is a challenge. Last year we had a fleet of 32 boats, 28 finished. In 2011 we started with 35 boats and 17 finished. It is like backpacking into primitive areas with very little modern conveniences, except we use a sailboat with wetbags for clothing instead of backpacks. We need to carry all of our supplies and camping equipment (i.e. tents, food, etc.) for the whole week, including enough water to drink a gallon per day per person. There are very few places along the way for re-supply. We will also bring some fresh water for bathing/cleaning purposes. This event can be a wonderful adventure that not many sailors do. The costs for you would be $25 for the Tx200 club fee, $10 for the shrimp boil at the end (well worth the cost), and part of the gas/motel cost.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Return to Events