The 2013 New England DaySailer Meet Up

Discussion of events open to DaySailers

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: The 2013 New England DaySailer Meet Up

Postby 68commemorative » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:48 pm

Sorry I missed this, I am up in MA and I am still trying to get my O'day sea worthy. I am putter her in Webster Lake for the summer this year. I still have a bunch to do, but I am trying to get her in the water for the 4th of July! I hope you guys had fun the weather seemed great!
68commemorative

Postby seandwyer » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:52 am

The get-together looks like it went really well! I just want to thank you guys for putting the pictures up. I sure would have liked to have been there and this way I can see what I missed. I hope that maybe by things like this being visual we can encourage more events like this throughout the country.

Maybe next year for me :D
Sean
DS1 - 3203
seandwyer

Postby seandwyer » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:03 am

Also--I know the differences between the DS1, DS2 and DS3 are known, but having them all together like that I wonder what the analysis was. I noticed in the one picture, it looked as if the DS3 sat much higher out of the water than the other boat with the (Ensign sails?), even though there definitely looked to be more crew on the DS3. Does the DS3 have a bit more freeboard, or is this just a depth issue in photography that I'm not able to easily see?
Sean
DS1 - 3203
seandwyer

Postby Moose » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:12 am

Looks like this will become a yearly thing, so if you missed it this year next year looks promising.I am still interested in hosting a get together. Perhaps the 2014 daysailer meet-up? Is there any interest in doing something similar later in the season, or is once a year enough?

I would like to personally thank Rhodysail and KCWalker for helping us get out on the water after our stay debacle. Another thanks is in order for the great accommodations provided.

What a great day of sailing and hanging out at the beach. Despite the lack of wind the day was a great success that really showed the versatility and character of the daysailer class boats and people.

Our group was also particularly impressed with KCWalkers UPS. He was able to make great upwind progress with it. His added bow sprit really looks great too. I think a UPS might be a winter project for us.

Seandwyer, The Daysailer 3 does have more freeboard in the aft section. I must also point out the use of outboard in said picture! The boat with the ensign sails is a sail star, which is essentially a copy of the daysailer made by sailstar. Dan also said his flotation foam is water-logged and his boat weighs much more than it should. As far as any performance difference it’s hard to tell. There were times when we were gaining on the DSI’s and times when they were gaining on us.
Moose

Postby K.C. Walker » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:15 am

@68Commemorative, pretty much everyone who attended said that the event was a good deadline for getting their boats ready. Good luck and I hope you make the Fourth of July launch date! I've only driven by Webster Lake, but it looks like it's big enough to have some fun on. From what I can tell, there is a pretty good number of DaySailers on the lake.

@Sean, I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. I should have given photo credit to Rhodysail for the three photos of us sailing in Red Tail. The boat with the blue hull was a Sailstar Explorer. Dan said that it weighed in at about 1100 pounds and when we got back he was comparing the sail size with Moose's mainsail and found that it was somewhat smaller. Dan did a couple of motor sailing runs to keep up.

@Moose, I'm glad we were able to get you going. That would've been too disappointing. I too noticed the give-and-take on the speed going downwind.

I'm definitely hoping that we do another event. Buzzards Bay sounds fun. When thinking about it, New England does have some of the most incredible sailing areas, most of which I have not sailed. My little neck of the woods here at Stonington/Watch Hill/Mystic is pretty spectacular, as well. I know it's a little far North, but Winnipesaukee is great sailing and where I keep my boat a good part of the summer.

Yeah, the UPS was in its element.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby K.C. Walker » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:36 pm

Moose just posted his invite for the 2014 New England DaySailer meet up!

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4577
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Previous

Return to Events