The 2013 New England DaySailer Meet Up

Discussion of events open to DaySailers

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: The 2013 New England DaySailer Meet Up

Postby RhodySail » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:18 am

Wind forecast is unusual but should make for some good reaches getting around Prudence. WNW @ 11MPH with a sunny 77 degrees. Sounds perfect.

I did some recon work last night with the center console and I'm leaning towards the sandy beach despite being a little further from the ramp. The flat area off the rocky point is pretty well overgrown this year which means ticks...which is something worth avoiding in my book. Not to mentions a WNW requires a bit more work keeping the boats off the rocks.

Also, on a personal note, this will technically be my shakedown cruise. I thought I was ready to launch last Sunday so I was going through the last items on the long long rehab project to get ready for the water. I needed to put my centerboard handle back in and screw down the pressure plate. As I was tightening the pressure plate down SNAP, not the stainless bolt but the bronze threaded nub on the mounting plate broke off. After a quick run to D&R in fall river, a grinder to my new paintjob, and a whole lot of thickened epoxy I have a new centerboard set up and should be good to launch tomorrow afternoon (knock on wood).

That said, staying reasonably close to one-another sounds like a good plan to me! Looking forward to the weekend.
RhodySail

Postby Moose » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:37 am

WNW might make it a little easier to get to and from the ramp through that channel too.

This will also be my shake-down cruise. I'm not even sure my rudder will have a new top-coat, it might just be well sanded and dull. I'm also shortening my back stays a little tonight in an attempt to get more rake because we had some issues with pointing/performance last year. So a loose group sounds good. I'd also like to see how the DS3 sails compared to the DS1's and DS2's (in a non-competitive way). Although I do wish there was some kind of handicap worked out as I've had a urge to try racing lately. though that would defeat the purpose of one design I guess.

The sandy beach sounds good. If we think it's too far to go all the way 'round we can just turn back from there. If someone gets to the beach before you "RhodySail" will it be apparent where to stop?
Moose

Postby K.C. Walker » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:33 pm

The wind prediction does look great. It also looks like it's going to be there all day, maybe a little gusty in the morning. It looks like if we wanted to, we could get an earlier start.

At Bonnet Shores, it looks like the wave height is going to be 4 foot in the morning and dropping to about 3 foot later in the day. I'm guessing the waves will be smaller up further in the bay, but does that affect anything for us, like at the beach? How about tidal current? It looks like it would be against us both ways going around Prudence, as high tide is 1:45 at Bristol. Also, it looks like it's going to be low tide at 7 PM with a -1.5 foot tide. How is that ramp at low tide?

I'm all for staying out of the ticks!
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby RhodySail » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:54 pm

The waves should be reasonable. a bit of chop later in the day but certainly manageable. Usually the only real wave action is driven by the wind not any swell. The WNW doesn't allow for too much fetch and with speeds only around 11mph we should be fine.

The one trouble spot is Warwick Light to the north of Patience which we'll round to get back to the ramp. Its a confluence of 3 bodies of water as well as a channel for power and sailboats so wave action can get exaggerated there pretty quickly. If it is rough best bet is to give it a wide berth. Conversely its fun to sail nearer the shore and rocks and look at the pretty lighthouse up close.

The current at the ramp is also negligible.

The beach is protected but for some power boat wakes. It is a sandy hook of a beach west of the narrowest portion of the channel. There will probably others anchored there so any open spot should work out fine for us.

The current is negligible at in the open bay so I'm not anticipating too much delay on that account. The only place the current has much affect is the channel between patience and prudence but we should be able to row or power through it quickly if the wind is quiet in there.

Also we can assess our progress/time as we get towards the southern end of Prudence and decide whether or not we want to go around or turn north for the beach and maybe play around in the cove a bit.
RhodySail

Postby Moose » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:19 pm

That -1.5' tide sounds tough.
Moose

Postby K.C. Walker » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:28 pm

The high tide is only a +2 feet, so it's probably not as bad as it sounds. It's not like a Cape Cod tide!
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby RhodySail » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:24 am

As far as the cookout I'll be picking up some sausage & peppers, burgers, veggies, corn, chips & dip. I've got a small charcoal grill as well as a bigger grate we could use over a hole in the sand which should be more than enough to get everything cooked up.

Folding or beach chairs would be good to bring along I think I only have 2 or 3 to stick in my boat.

As of now I'm planning on shopping for 7 people: My boat (2), Moose (2), KC (2), Dan (not on the forum) (1).

IF YOU ARE COMING AND YOUR NAME ISN'T MENTIONED HERELET ME KNOW BY THIS EVENING VIA THIS FORUM OR MY EMAIL.
RhodySail

Postby RhodySail » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:26 am

PS: Dan is looking for some crew for tomorrow if anyone doesn't want to trailer a boat down.
RhodySail

Postby K.C. Walker » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:27 pm

So, no triathjohn or Thomasjbrothersjr? They still seemed like there were coming as of their post of May 28.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby Moose » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:31 pm

Sounds tasty!

I hope they're coming. Maybe you should PM them RhodySail?
Moose

Postby K.C. Walker » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:33 pm

PS. Of course, I don't need any encouragement to show up for tomorrow. I'd come if no one else showed up. This is my favorite kind of sailing… clear skies, fair winds, and one of the most beautiful places in the world to sail.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby Moose » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:39 pm

Agree'd.
Moose

Postby seandwyer » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:41 pm

You guys suck! :wink: Wish I was going.
Sean
DS1 - 3203
seandwyer

Postby Moose » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:44 am

We are going to end up being 3 people. We will grab some hot dogs and buns on the way just incase there's not enough food.
Moose

Postby K.C. Walker » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:53 pm

Well, Rhodysail puts on a very fun beach barbecue! Thank you very much! It was a great event. Hopefully we can do it again.

The wind predictions were perfect at 10 kn out of NNW, and they were for a while, making it look like a circumnavigation of Prudence Island would be an easy two and a half-hour maybe three-hour sail. Unfortunately, the Narragansett Bay is famous for its seabreeze, which canceled out our NNW breeze. So, I'd say we were down to 3-5 kn of breeze about halfway down the island. Mark and I decided to take a wild tack towards Quonset Point, I was thinking that maybe a broad reach would be a little faster and more interesting sailing than the wing on wing that we were all doing. It was but it got us about 1-2 miles off from everyone else, when I realized they'd all turned around and were heading for the barbecue beach. The wind was pretty light and the plan had been to play it by ear, regarding turning around or going around. What to do? Well, obviously it was time to cheat, so I pulled out the UPS gennaker I'd had stashed under the deck. We caught up to Rhodysail just as they were entering the channel between Prudence and Patience. All we needed was a Jolly Rogers to fly!

The breeze did fill in for a very nice sail back after a nice barbecue and party on the beach. The sailing back was absolutely gorgeous, the light was perfect. It looked like picture postcards with all the various sails being lit up by the sun as it was going down.

Here is a link to some photos on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/walkerguit ... 159153104/ .
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

PreviousNext

Return to Events