WCTSS IRLC 2013

Discussion of events open to DaySailers

Moderator: GreenLake

WCTSS IRLC 2013

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:20 pm

Well, after having been all but weathered out in February (Chris Behnke and his crew Stephanie were the only ones who braved the cold, rain and high winds!), the rescheduled West Coast Trailer Sailor Squadron's Indian River Lagoon Cruise went off without a hitch this past weekend. Indian River Lagoon is the name given to a long stretch of the Florida east coast Inter Coastal Waterway.

I'm proud to report that the Daysailer was well represented, with Chris's '80 and my '79 DS2's as part of the 14 boat fleet. The plan was to launch at Honest John's Fish Camp on the east side of the ICW, but some skippers elected to launch from Christensen's on the west side. Chris, myself, and Pat Johnson in his Fat Cat chose the latter, and sailed together the 6 or so miles south to the destination, Indian River 1, just south of Sebastian Inlet. All up and down the ICW, there are what they call spoil islands, which have been created over the years when they dredge the channel and pile up the sand in spots along the way. Some of these islands are very large, and some are not much more than sand bars. They are numbered from north to south, so the one we went to is called IR1, or Indian River (county) 1, being the first one south of the Brevard/IRC line at Sebastian Inlet. Most of the spoil islands are open to the public, except the ones that are designated wildlife sanctuaries. IR1 in particular is a popular destination, as it has plenty of beach areas, trees/shade, as well as even having a fire ring and picnic table. Other than that tho, there are absolutely no other amenities, not even a trash can, so it's primitive camping at it's best: ya take out whatever ya brung in!

It was a really good time, and other than being hot as blazes and a brief rainshower Sat night/Sun morning, the conditions couldn't have been better. Most of the actual sailing was done getting to and from the island: Saturday, most folks were content to sit in the shade and shoot the breeze, and both Fri and Sat nights we had a nice fire on the beach ...

Chris: thanks again for the help in picking up/dropping off Ilse and Ella at the Sebastian ramps!

Here's a shot, taken by a total stranger on a power boat who then texted the pics to Pat Johnson, of Chris (on the left) and I cruising south on a beam reach Friday on our way to the island:

Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Re: WCTSS IRLC 2013

Postby ChrisB » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:05 am

It was an awesome weekend and the weather could only have been better if it was cooler. Your daughter is well on her way to becoming a boat rat. Next time, she'll be ready to camp overnight on the island.

When I got home, I removed all the gear from the boat and tilted the trailer so I could hose out all the sand. I heard a "considerable" amount of water sloshing around the bilge but little was coming out the drain. I got a short length of coat hanger wire and poked it into the drain hole and all manner of crap came flowing out of the bilge drain along with many gallons of water. I suspect I've been hauling the water around with me since the Fl 120!

I can't wait for the next trip. Thanks to the unnamed powerboater for the picture that is my new desktop background.
Chris B.
ChrisB

Re: WCTSS IRLC 2013

Postby TIM WEBB » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:05 pm

Yeah, it was a hot one! What a change from February ...

Not sure if the girls would be into the camping thing, but we'll see!

Hmmm ... were you noticing any difference in performance with all that water in there? Mine sure acted up when the bilge filled up at the 120. But it was already sailing a bit "differently" than usual what with all the extra gear weight in her. For a change, on this trip the boat hardly took on any water at all. Guess all my efforts at sealing 'er up are paying off! 8)

I've had to do the "stick a screwdriver in the bilge drain" move many times. Mostly muddobber nests clogging it up. I like to leave the plug out while it's on the trailer - I suppose I could figure out some way to put a screen over it ... ?
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Return to Events