2014 New England Daysailer Meet-up

Discussion of events open to DaySailers

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: 2014 New England Daysailer Meet-up

Postby RhodySail » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:12 pm

I am if I can get my act together. I called the contact person at the bottom and it seems like a pretty laid back affair. If we can get 5 boats they will do a class start for us. Either way its good to have a target date to get the boat ready for and I've never sailed the CT River so it should be interesting.
RhodySail

Postby Moose » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:19 pm

Do you think anyone would fuss about my boat saying "3" after Daysiler at such a laid back affair?

Not that I'm sure I can get my boat fixed, ready, and find crew in time.

Are you coming to the meet-up for sure?
Moose

Postby RhodySail » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:15 pm

I'll certainly be at the meet-up for June. I am dropping my main off today at Doyle sails to put in Gromets and Slugs in hopes that I'll be able to reef the main with a lot more ease this summer as well as flake and cover it on the boom rather than take it all the way off. Being on a mooring makes it difficult to achieve what should be simple tasks.

That is a long way of saying I'll be on the CT River in a few weeks if I can get my main back. They guy at Doyle said it shouldn't be more than a week so it looks like I'll be there.
RhodySail

Postby Moose » Tue May 20, 2014 9:21 am

Hey Everyone,

On the 28th of June the Charles W. Morgan will sail into New Bedford harbor, where she was originally launched in 1841, and stay until July 6. If those weren't going to be the two busiest weekends of the year for the harbor I'd suggest moving the meet-up back until one of those weekends.

Just thought I'd let everyone know. I also have to say that New Bedford has a rich whaling history and the New Bedford Whaling Museum is worth it's own day trip or making a weekend of it.

Best,
Moose
Moose

Postby K.C. Walker » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:51 pm

Moose,

I meant to get back to you about the Charleston W. Morgan. The New London Day had a story just about every day about the Morgan and the preparations to get it out of Mystic and to New London for final prep. They had a really narrow window to make it down the Mystic River on the high tide. They did run aground but we're able to get it off. I think you're right, they are going to promote the heck out of it and it should be a real circus that weekend.

So I'm checking in. My daughter Caitlin is going to crew with me this year. It was so much fun last year! I'm really looking forward to this one. Has everyone had their boat in the water yet? Or are we still getting ready? I'm hoping that next weekend has as good weather as this weekend is supposed to have. I'm planning on bringing potato salad (my mom's recipe of course), homemade cookies, and beer. Can I bring anything else?

What does it look like for the number of boats this year?
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby Moose » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:38 am

K.C.,

I can't wait to see it. There is a secret plan in my city to close the hurricane barrier behind it and take it back from Mystic. Unfortunately, we can't really afford it. We can hardly keep the ERNESTINA in working order, which is a true shame because it is a ship with incredible history, that is as rich as it is long. Although there has been some movement to restore and maintain the historic waterfront in the city there is an equal amount of backlash which would like to see the money spent elsewhere, as New Bedford may never be a viable weekend tourist destination. I guess that is what happens when you have an increasingly young city which is focused on the future and losing sight of the past that created it.

More on the ERNESTINA for anyone who is interested, this is a truncated history: http://www.ernestina.org/about/about-ernestina/history/

Anyway, more on the meet-up in my next post.

Moose
Moose

Postby Moose » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:16 am

Attention all Daysailer Meet-up participants!

The Meet-up is next weekend (June 14) weather permitting. I will monitor the forecast throughout the week and try to make a call on Thursday. If the weather looks bad (rain, lightning, very strong winds) the meet-up will be postponed until the 21st.

We need a final count so I know how much food and drink to get. As stated previously, I plan on providing burgers, sausages, chips, and corn on the cob. I will also bring some assorted beverages. Feel free to bring anything that you would like. K.C. Walker is bringing his potato salad (It's good stuff) and cookies (also good).

The current list of attendees:

KC Walker
12tinker
DJK
Rhodysail
rnlivingston
Moose (me)

Please reply to this thread to confirm whether you are coming or not and how many people total your group is. Please P.M. me with your cell phone number and I will reply with mine so that we can get in touch if someone gets lost or can't make it last minute.

If anyone has a handheld VHF radio or several walkie-talkies please bring them along.

Please keep safety in mind and be sure your boat meets applicable requirements: http://www.uscgboating.org/fedreqs/default.html

Hope to hear from you soon!
Moose
Moose

Postby Moose » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:20 am

Bump.
Moose

Postby rnlivingston » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:42 am

Hi Moose

Sorry, but Sally and I cannot make the meet-up. Too many things going on next weekend.
Roger Livingston
DS 6872
Mariner 4096
rnlivingston

Postby Moose » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:21 am

rnlivingston,

Sorry to hear that, we were looking forward to meeting you.

Best,
Moose
Moose

Postby K.C. Walker » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:34 pm

Roger,

I was looking forward to meeting you as well. And, seeing your latest restoration work!
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby K.C. Walker » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:37 pm

I know, this is New England and it's too early to look at weather forecasts… However, the forecasts seem to be leaning towards a perfect day Saturday. My favorite is AccuWeather's who now predicts 80° and sunny with a good breeze!
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby Moose » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:18 am

The weather does look good so far. Plenty of wind forecast for Saturday.

I sent out a P.M. to everyone who said they would like to attend. So far only K.C. Walker and rnlivingston have contacted me.

Hope to hear from everyone soon,
Moose.
Moose

Postby K.C. Walker » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:29 am

Come on you New England DaySailers or other small boats! I know a lot of people are getting their boats in late because of the long winter, even though Memorial Day was early this year. But hey, the Great Lakes just became ice free. Compared to that it's like Texas here!

You know you need to get out on the water, because summer will be gone before you know it. There's less than two weeks before the longest day and then it's all downhill from there.

This is a classic seafaring port and a great opportunity to sail in one of New England's premier sailing bodies of water. And… with Moose as a guide to his favorite spots. Last year Rhodysail guided us on the Narragansett Bay and it was really a blast.

This is not a competitive event but a fun sail together. Don't worry about if you've got it totally together or not. We'll all look out for each other and have a good time.

Come on, you KNOW you want to do it!
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby Moose » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:06 pm

The weather is looking questionable. There appears to be a high chance of rain until the afternoon and the potential for thunderstorms until 9 a.m. It's a shame because the wind looks like a perfect 5-10 for comfortable sailing.

I think we should delay the event for 1 week and see if next weekend is better. What does everyone think? Is anyone available?

Moose
Moose

PreviousNext

Return to Events