2014 New England Daysailer Meet-up

Discussion of events open to DaySailers

Moderator: GreenLake

2014 New England Daysailer Meet-up

Postby Moose » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:30 pm

Who? What? When? Where? We know why!

The 2013 Daysailer Meet-up was a great success, many thanks to Rhodysail! Everyone who attended expressed interest in doing it again in 2014; Therefore, I propose the 2014 Daysailer meet-up.

Who? Anyone with a Daysailer, or similar sailboat who wants to have a good time. Tell your non-daysailer.org friends with boats.

What? A day sail with a beach picnic and a contingency plan if the weather does not cooperate. Last year we were only able to complete a ~12 mile round trip because of calm conditions the original plan was closer to 22 mi.

When? Tentatively, June 14, 2014 with June 21, 2014 being the rain date. Captains meeting at 9 a.m. just before shove-off.

Where? Here is a map showing the proposed routes (click on or download map for larger view). Here is a clean version of the map on NOAA chart viewer, chart 13232 New Bedford Harbor and Approaches. This is tentative and I am open to suggestion and other ideas. Historic New Bedford Harbor. We would start in the inner harbor (Ramp on Google maps) and sail past Palmers Island Light and through the hurricane barrier (AKA dike). Sometimes, the current can be swift and the wind is interrupted as you pass through, so an outboard or oars are recommended. After passing through the dike there will be a nice view of the Civil war era cannons atop Fort Phoenix to port. from there we will sail past butlers flat light in the outer harbor. From there it is a stones throw to Fort Tabor, an active fort from mid civil war to the end of the Vietnam war. Stay clear of green 13 known as old Bartlemy. Then it's across the harbor staying wide of angelica rock which has a broke down wind turbine build by an eccentric Fairhaven resident who wanted to build a house on the tiny island. There is also a 48' world war II observation tower on the island painted white with black horizontal stripes. After rounding the island we will beach in the cove on the back-side for a picnic with food and beverages provided, but feel free to bring anything you'd like. Depending on how things go and how the weather is there are two choices from here.

1.) Begin a return voyage returning the way we came (Green path).

2.) Sail around Nasketucket Bay for a while, maybe rounding some of the waypoints (Ram island, Nye Ledge, or straight to the ramp) marked with stars(blue, brown, pink options) or possibly heading to Ned's Point lighthouse (not shown on map. Just East of Mattapoisett harbor). From there we can return to the ramp north/north west of West Island (Ramp on Google maps) and I will have a relative shuttle everyone back to their trailers (about a 10-15 minute round trip).

Details: There is a $7 per day parking fee at Massachusetts boat ramps.

Who is interested in attending this year? Do these dates work for you weather permitting? Any thoughts or ideas?

Edit: 3/21 fixed map link. Added details.
Last edited by Moose on Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:35 am, edited 5 times in total.
Moose

Re: 2014 New England Daysailer Meet-up

Postby K.C. Walker » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:26 pm

Moose, AWESOME! Count me in! Happy Spring!

Last year really was great. It's so much fun to go sailing on someone else's home turf, or is that surf. Rhodysail did a great job last year and it looks like you put some good thought into this one. Thanks!

I can't get the map to work for your thoughts on routes, of course that doesn't matter, it sounds great. I'll be there anyway. However, is there a trick to making it work, do I need to sign up with Google or should I just be able to see it?

I love having a sailing event to look forward to! It makes it so much more real. The snow piles in my yard are melting fast.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby Moose » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:28 am

K.C.,

Glad to see that you're in. The link to the map should be working now, give it a try.

Can't wait to see that UPS in action again!

Keep an eye on the main post as I will be updating it from time to time.

Best,
Moose
Moose

Postby GreenLake » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:03 pm

Moose - I suggest that you add a reply every time you edit the "main post", because that would set the "unread post" flag for people and or generate a message if they subscribed to the topic - a mere edit by itself may not trigger those. This also puts the thread to the top of the short list on http://daysailor.org so more people might notice it.

Good luck!
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby K.C. Walker » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:53 pm

Moose,

Yup, the map works fine for me now. The suggested routes look good.

I'd been thinking about the 2014 meet up for a couple of weeks and thinking it was time to start the conversation, so this is great!

It think Green Lake is right about making new posts for updating as it would maximize our exposure.

Obviously, you're going to have to go out with me and try out the UPS if conditions are right.

It looks like it's pretty protected water so ideal for our DaySailers. It seems like any trailer sailors should be fine. What do you think?
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby Moose » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:23 pm

K.C.,

I think we should be alright, there is usually no shortage of wind and the seas are usually reasonable. Granted there are ramps everywhere, so we can modify the route as necessary.

Hopefully some of the folks from last year will want to come out again. I'm going to send out some PM's and invite Rhodysails friend Dan with the sailstar.

These events are good motivation to do all the boat related tasks we put off until the spring.

-Moose
Moose

Postby K.C. Walker » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:48 pm

Moose wrote:K.C.,

These events are good motivation to do all the boat related tasks we put off until the spring.

So true, I'm checking my list of things I was hoping to get done. Last year I compounded and waxed the topsides and painted my old motor, which I'd been meaning to do for years.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby 12tinker » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:28 am

Moose, KC and everyone,

Great to get this going again, last year was so much fun. I'll try my best to make it!

Dan with the 1965 Sailstar Explorer.

PS. I have to post that picture with all the boats lined up on the beach to encourage the rest that didn't make it.
12tinker

Postby Moose » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:32 am

12tinker,

funny, I just sent you an email. I didn't know you had an account.

We hope you can make it this year, if there is anything we can do to accommodate, let me know.
Moose

Postby Moose » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:43 am

12tinker,

I added the photo that I have to the main post but I think yours was better. post what you've got!

Moose
Moose

Postby DJK » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:11 am

Count me in...sounds like a great time!!

Doug with 1959 Day Sailor 100...
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
Mark Twain
DJK

Postby Moose » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:33 am

DJK wrote:Count me in...sounds like a great time!!

Doug with 1959 Day Sailor 100...

Great! Keep an eye on the forum for updates.
Moose

Postby RhodySail » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:53 am

Hey Guys,

Anne and I were just talking about reaching back out to everyone. That route looks great I have never sailed out of New Bedford before but I've fished from there and I'm really looking forward to exploring it further. Buzzard's Bay is a great place hopefully we'll have more typical summer breezes than we did last year...otherwise we'll just have to pack more beer.

Count me in on this one. Talk soon.

Dave.
RhodySail

Postby K.C. Walker » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:38 pm

DJK,

Cool, I'm glad your going to make it! That's the lowest serial number boat I've heard about. I'm really looking forward to seeing it!
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby K.C. Walker » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:10 pm

Dan,

I'm glad you're going to make it again! It was fun. Here's a link to my photos from the 2013 meet up on Flickr. https://www.flickr.com/photos/walkergui ... 159153104/
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Next

Return to Events