2014 FL 120

Discussion of events open to DaySailers

Moderator: GreenLake

2014 FL 120

Postby TIM WEBB » Sun May 11, 2014 10:40 pm

Finalizing preparations for this year's FL 120. Just need to do shopping tomorrow for provisions, then load up the car/hitch up TRW Tues PM. Departure Deland Wed AM for (hopefully) launch at Shoreline Wed PM, with an overnight stop at Big Sabine, then on to the official first night's stopover at Spectre Island on Thu.

Leaning much more this year towards using more dry bags than totes for storage of stuff in the cuddy. Much more economical use of space, plus better protection of stuff in case of capsize. I made what I call a "Dry Bag Lazy Susan", which consists of a long strap that goes around the mast stub in the cuddy. Along the length of that strap are attached shorter loop straps with Delrin snaps, that will in turn hold each dry bag. The dry bags are labeled in big bold letters as to what they contain. This way, I can just pull the DBLS around until I have the one I need. ;-P

Hope to put 120 miles on TRW between tonight and a week from now ...
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Re: 2014 FL 120

Postby jeadstx » Mon May 12, 2014 1:15 pm

Good lick on the FL120 Tim. Hope you have a good week's sail.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby K.C. Walker » Mon May 12, 2014 6:27 pm

Tim, I like the dry bag Lazy Susan idea! I'm looking forward to photos and a report of your success upon your return. Have fun!
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon May 12, 2014 9:21 pm

Thanks guys! ChrisB and crew are going as well. Forecast is a bit rough on the first day, but great after that, and wind speed/direction forecasts are very favorable.

I'll take as many pix/video as I can, but may not get many while under way, as holding a camera is 4th on the list after sheets and tiller when singlehanding! ;-P
Tim Webb
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby TIM WEBB » Sun May 18, 2014 8:49 pm

Let's just say it was "epic". Will post a recap when I get home ...
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Sun May 18, 2014 11:33 pm

Looking forward!
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jeadstx » Mon May 19, 2014 10:28 am

Sounds like it was a bit rough this year. I've been trying to follow the event on Facebook since Thursday. Sounds like the fleet was scattered all over the place. Saw your boat in a video, I think at Sand Island.

I'll be interested to see your report.

John
Early Rhodes 19
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
jeadstx

Re: 2014 FL 120 <LONG!>

Postby TIM WEBB » Fri May 23, 2014 11:45 pm

This is just my take - there are many, many more viewpoints ... ;-P

58 boats were registered for the 2014 Florida 120, held every year the weekend after Mothers’ Day in the waters around Pensacola and Santa Rosa Sound, FL. The official start of the event was Thursday, but many arrived on Wednesday, hoping to get going early. However, stormy weather kept most folks on the hard that day.

Thursday morning dawned with clearing skies, but winds gusting 20-30 out of the North, making the first day’s passage from Shoreline Park to Spectre Island a beam to close reach. No one was in any big hurry to splash their boats, because everyone knew that, once we got started, in the words of Chris Behnke, it was going to be “Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride”!

Most of the skippers of sloop rigged boats opted to start out with two reefs in the main and no jib. A couple had very small storm jibs flying. Other boats had other means of reducing sail, such as rolling main and mizzen on the masts in the case of the Sea Pearls.

There were three DS2s on the cruise: myself on The Red Witch, Chris and his crew Stephanie on Sarayu, and Santa Rosa local Lorette Medwell on the beautiful yellow Imp. There had been a DS3 registered, but I believe that skipper couldn’t make it.

O’Day was otherwise well represented too, with several Mariners, a Widgeon, and an O’Day 222 also on the water.

The high, shifty, gusty winds on Thursday ended up causing the fleet to become a bit scattered along the course. There were at least two capsizes (including the organizer!), and one MOB. None were “fatal”, and all involved managed to make it to the first night’s stop.

Other skippers decided to stop for lunch at Juana’s in Navarre Beach, but quickly realized that they had beached on a lee shore, and were unable to leave. Others had made it to Big Sabine on Wednesday, and stayed put. Both groups rejoined the fleet the next day.

At Spectre on Thursday evening, event organizer Scott Widmier called a meeting around the campfire. Having consulted with other skippers marooned in the above places, as well as with shore support, a decision had to be made: the Friday wind forecast called for a switch to the W, becoming SW through the day, but lighter than the conditions on Thursday. There was virtually no way the fleet would be able to beat to Sand Island in one day. It was decided that those who were camping ashore would stop at Juana’s on the way back on Friday and stay there, as that was about the only place that allowed on-beach camping between Spectre and Sand. Those sleeping aboard would try to make Big Sabine for the night.

It was a beautiful evening at Spectre that first night: nice full moon rising, mild temps, and the wind finally laid down around dusk. There was a bit of noise coming from Hurlburt Air Base overnight, but not enough to keep the tired sailors awake.

Friday morning dawned calm and clear. As the boats began to make their way back WSW, the wind was light and dead on the bow, and the tacking duel began. Many boats found it difficult to make any headway at all, given the narrow channel and many shoals just W of Spectre. Once W of there though, as the sound opened up and the winds started to clock more out of the S, folks started to make headway.

By the time most of the boats reached Juana’s around noon, the winds had started to really pick up again, and hadn’t shifted any more to the S. So most of the skippers and their crew opted to just stay there for a relaxing afternoon: dining at Juana’s, tending to their craft, and socializing on the beach. Another meeting was called by Scott in the evening, and it was decided that we would all try to make it to Sand Island Saturday, and return to Shoreline on Sunday, foregoing the regular third night’s stop at Skull Island (Escribano Point). So much for this writer’s second attempt to reach that place! (I had to withdraw on the third morning two years ago).

Saturday morning, most everyone tried to make an early departure, as the winds were almost dead-calm. It really looked like it was going to be very difficult at first to make any headway West, but gradually the winds started to fill in from a more agreeable angle, and after a few tacks, most were able to keep ‘er pointed in the right direction. Eventually, the Pensacola Beach bridge appeared on the horizon, and after what seemed like an eternity, was finally put to stern.

A few boats were forced by gear failure, or had just had enough, and pulled out at Shoreline to call it a day. Most of the remaining boats on the water eventually made it to Sand Island by the late afternoon, dodging barges and massive amounts of powerboat traffic in the Pensacola Pass area. Also, stopping there on Saturday night vs. Friday night meant that there were a lot more (non-120) boats in the anchorage, but room was found/made for everyone in the group. It was another gorgeous evening, and around dusk everyone made their way to the fire on the beach, and the event wrap-up festivities began. There were quite a few children on this trip, and they had been collecting seashells to hand out to everyone. I gladly accepted one to bring home to my own 3-year-old daughter, whom I hope will accompany me on some future FL 120 … ?

This event includes a “poker run”, in which participants can collect a playing card for various and sundry achievements, such as being the only one to do this or that, travelling the furthest, smallest boat, etc. etc. Suffice to say, there were many “memorable occurances” this year, and many cards were handed out! Everyone who participates is asked to bring a sailing-related item to add to the pile of swag, and the person with the best poker hand gets to pick what they want. I think it actually went down to a single two before all the stuff was spoken for!

The camaraderie and conversation continued well into the night, until the last of the firewood was burned. As folks slowly started heading for their boats or tents, it began to sink in that this year’s FL 120 was drawing to a close.

Sunday morning, the winds had died to almost zero. Although it was a relatively short jaunt back to Shoreline, there was “big water” to cross, and again a huge amount of powerboat/barge traffic to deal with. Many boats (myself included) decided to motor sail. Others just bobbed ‘n’ baked. A couple got towed in tandem by our “Shepherd”, Pat Johnson. As far as I know, all who were trying to get back to Shoreline on Sunday did so.

In conclusion: most agreed that conditions this year were quite abnormal, as winds are typically light to moderate out of the S at this time of year, and temps are higher. Then again, nothing has been normal with the wx in P’cola this year: only a couple of weeks before the 120, the area received 20 inches of rain in one day, and there was a lot of flooding. So, the group was lucky this year in that regard: at least we got to sail in sunshine and mild temps!

As for me: I didn’t break me, I didn’t break The Red Witch, the bilge stayed dry, and I went the entire 74 nautical miles that the 2014 FL 120 ended up being. Much better than my experience in 2012!
Last edited by TIM WEBB on Sat May 24, 2014 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Postby K.C. Walker » Sat May 24, 2014 9:50 am

Tim,

Great report! It sounds like it was quite a challenge. I'm glad you were able to make the entire "Florida 74".
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby TIM WEBB » Sat May 24, 2014 9:36 pm

Thanks KC! It *was* a challenge, and believe me, that 74 felt like 120! ;-P
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Mon May 26, 2014 5:07 pm

Sounds like you had quite the adventure.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon May 26, 2014 9:05 pm

We did, GL, we did ... ;-P

Now on to the next adventure: Ilse's 16-year-old 2nd cousin arrives tonight from DE for two weeks! She's on her way to the airport now. Hope to get a chance to take him out sailing while he's here ... ?
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Mon May 26, 2014 10:28 pm

That's a great age to get them out on a boat.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jeadstx » Wed May 28, 2014 4:35 pm

That was a good report. Does her cousin know he is going to be shanghighed as crew on The Red Witch.

John
Early Rhodes 19
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
jeadstx

Postby TIM WEBB » Wed May 28, 2014 9:32 pm

Thanks John - I finally wrote one up like you've been encouraging me to do! ;-P

I'm working on embellishing it with pix, then will send along to Brooks for the DS quarterly ...

AAMOF, Ilse's cousin knew I had a SV before he planned his trip, and specifically asked if we would be able to go sailing while he was here. So, that smacks of voluntary indentured servitude, does it not? <grin>
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Next

Return to Events