Oregon Messabout May 20-22

Discussion of events open to DaySailers

Moderator: GreenLake

Oregon Messabout May 20-22

Postby talbot » Mon May 16, 2016 2:29 pm

Got this notice from the Coots, a regional informal gathering of small-boaters. Includes traditional and home-built sailboats, rowboats, and kayaks, and even some interesting small power boats. I went last year, and my DS II was probably the most high-tech boat on the shore. Basically a picnic, but a chance to see some novel craft. I have to travel for work on Sunday, but I will try to get free to drop by on Saturday.

Note that the park where they are meeting is carry-launch only. The closest launch ramp is at Orchard Point Marina, about 1 mi. north on the east side of the lake (maybe 1.5 sailing miles). Richardson Park, where the campground is located, is on the west side of the lake, about 2.5 miles from Shore Lane Park. Anyway, here's the link:

http://www.coots.org/mb/FernRidge/
The Fern Ridge Spring Messabout is held the weekend before Memorial Day on Fern Ridge Reservoir near Eugene. The main event will be a gathering on the beach at Shorelane Park on Saturday, starting about 11:00, but many of us will come Friday and make a weekend of it, camping at Richardson Park, or sleeping in our boats at the marina at Richardson Park or anchored out.
talbot

Re: Oregon Messabout May 20-22

Postby talbot » Tue May 24, 2016 12:46 am

RowingBlueMoonSm.jpg
Photo by John Kohnen
RowingBlueMoonSm.jpg (89.97 KiB) Viewed 5282 times

John Kohnen took this photo of DS 6546 Blue Moon pulling out from the 2016 Coots Messabout at Fern Ridge Lake, Oregon. It struck me that we have had lots of discussion of how to set up the DS for rowing, but I can’t recall a single picture of anyone actually doing it. Problem solved.

And yes, I did run into those reeds. I was distracted watching a couple of tricked-out Scamps that were just arriving. See the Scamps and John’s gallery of other boat photos at http://www.coots.org.
talbot

Return to Events