Wurstfest Regatta Nov. 3-5 2017

Discussion of events open to DaySailers

Moderator: GreenLake

Wurstfest Regatta Nov. 3-5 2017

Postby DavidOates8011 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:08 pm

Come join us in the Wurstfest Regatta Nov. 3-5 on beautiful Canyon Lake, Tx.
This is an annual event that is sponsored by Lake Canyon Yacht Club (LCYC).
There is a DS class and we hope any of you in the region can join us.
For info go to http://www.wurstfestregatta.com/wurstfestregatta1 (board boats)
links to the NOR, registration and much more.
David Oates
DS1, #1924, year 1965, 'Survivor'
San Antonio, TX
DavidOates8011

Re: Wurstfest Regatta Nov. 3-5 2017

Postby seabisquit » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:43 am

What if you have a DSII, no spinnaker (or idea how to use if I had one), and never raced before - but love Wurstfest. :)
I bring nothing to the table.

1978 O'Day Daysailer II - Sea Wing
2001 SeaArk Voyager Houseboat - Serenity NOW!
2001 Crownline LPX - The Dockside
1984 Illusion Mini 12 MK2 15 Foot Sailboat
3 Kayaks, 1 Canoe and an inflatable dinghy :0
seabisquit

Postby GreenLake » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:12 pm

A DSII is a class legal DS. That shouldn't be an obstacle.

You're not required to have one by class rules and if even if you do, you are not required to use it.

Not having a spinnaker could be a bit of a disadvantage - assuming that a spinnaker makes a big difference in the actual conditions. There are some situations where the gains are much bigger than others. In my experience, if you can sail wing-on-wing, the penalty of not having a spinnaker is much less than on courses where the jib is blanketed by the main. And in light, fluky winds, all bets are off.

Even if sailing without one puts you at slight handicap, it'd be a great excuse to be out on the water and show what you've got.

Eventually, you may want a spinnaker.

I still remember the time when I was sailing without one and felt intimidated by the idea of running all those lines. I got pushed over the cliff when someone gave me an old sail. Turned out, the rigging was a manageable affair and I learned to fly one (singlehanded even) in less time than I imagined.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby DavidOates8011 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:35 pm

Seabiscuit,
I'm 65 and had never raced until Wurstfest 2013 in my DS2 also without a spinnaker. It was a great experience for me - the learning, the new friends and much more.
Of course I didn't get a trophy but I had fun! I've been racing every Wurstfest since and each one has been an adventure one way or another.

Knowing the basic rules is important and there are on line resources and free racing rules games.

On the Wurstfest regatta home page, top bar menu, click on Wurstfest Regatta 1 - that opens the Boardboat page with registration, etc.

So far, we have 4 registered in the DS class and hope you can join in.
Let us know if you have any more questions, we'd be glad to help.
David Oates
DS1, #1924, year 1965, 'Survivor'
San Antonio, TX
DavidOates8011

Postby GreenLake » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:07 pm

There are a number of things that if you familiarize yourself a bit before your first race will make the experience more enjoyable (and safe) for you and others.

In case you are new to racing (and not just new to Wurstfest), I've started pulling together a few things in a separate thread "New to racing?" (I invite anyone with racing experience to add to that and anyone new to racing to ask general questions there).

That thread would be a good spot to put links to useful general resources (I've put links to the rules and one of the training games there).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Scotty » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:28 am

Last year, a DS11 won second place with no spinnaker! Wurstfest is always a fun weekend and the weather should be spectacular. Today is the last day to sign up with no late fee. Scotty
Cacafuego (3426) DS1
Scotty

Postby AndyKatz » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:05 am

Seabiscuit,

If you would like to crew on a Day Sailer in the Wurstfest regatta, we may have an opening. Feel free to call my cell at 817 296 0784 or email me at andykatz@sbcglobal.net.

Thanks, Andy
AndyKatz

Postby seabisquit » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:14 pm

Thanks guys - too daunting for me to get it together in time - I don;t even have my sail numbers on my new sail yet - haven't had it weighed and certificate or registered

I guess I was hoping it was like other events I've participated in for Wurstfest where there is a " I just want the t-shirt class) where ya sail around with your family (sorta like the Wurstrun 5k where i let all the racers do their thing and I just jog my way thru it :)

I'm still kinda on the fence as the weather looks ok for Saturday - thanks for all the advice - I basically need to get my act together before I do one of these things

Thanks again, and Probst!
I bring nothing to the table.

1978 O'Day Daysailer II - Sea Wing
2001 SeaArk Voyager Houseboat - Serenity NOW!
2001 Crownline LPX - The Dockside
1984 Illusion Mini 12 MK2 15 Foot Sailboat
3 Kayaks, 1 Canoe and an inflatable dinghy :0
seabisquit

Postby GreenLake » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:55 pm

@seabisquit - I totally feel for you. I remember that it took me forever to feel "ready" to join the local beer-can race, and those races are like what you describe as a the 't-shirt' division, only more so :)

I understand that some people enjoy making things a close contest by racing class-legal and measured boats so that everyone competes on the same platform.

The downside is, it represents a bit of a barrier to entry and I sometimes wish that fleets and regattas were organized in ways that makes it easier for people like you to experience them (and get "hooked") so that all the rigamarole is more easy to justify. Cutting a newcomer some slack on things like paperwork in this situation isn't likely to give them an unfair advantage - unless they are experienced sailors in another class already, they are unlikely to sail competitive.

My personal thinking is that organizers are always better off giving priority to growing the field over making it a more pure experience. (This may be different in larger classes, but should be a no-brainer in fleets and classes that are still fighting to meet the minimum numbers).

Putting on sail numbers takes half an hour at most, depending on what sources you have, getting them may take a bit more, but that shouldn't hold you back.

Good luck and hope you find your own way to make the transition from wanting to participate to being there. Wish I could join you!
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Scotty » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:26 am

Wurstfest Regatta 1 is in the books. It was a fun and competitive weekend. The wind was light the first day and four races were run. Bob & Kathy Hunkins were in first with one less point than Andy Katz and crew Douglas Miles. Manuel LeBlanc and crew David Brannen were tied for 2nd with myself and crew Jimmy Peck. David Oates and crew John Hamrick were in 5th with Calvin Jones and crew Steve Simpson in 6th.
The second day started with the winds 10-13+ and only two races were to be run. One throw out would be allowed. Bob & Kathy had a turnbuckle fracture, and had to retire for the day. No damage, just no racing! I had to win both races on Sunday to overtake Manuel and crew for 3rd overall. Manuel got a 2 and 3 and we got a 3 and 2. It was an exciting race.
The results were: Andy Katz 1st, Bob Hunkins 2nd, Manuel LeBlanc 3rd, myself 4th, David Oates 5th, and Calvin Jones 6th. Andy Katz and Douglas Miles also won the Southwestern Regional Award. We all talked and hope to be able to do at least two races next year. We will keep you posted. It was a fun weekend! Scott Lacy/Cacafuego 3426
Cacafuego (3426) DS1
Scotty

Postby GreenLake » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:02 pm

Thanks for sharing these results.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Events