Forum and Web Site Problem Reports and Suggestions

General announcements and information specific to the DaySailer forums.

Moderator: GreenLake

Postby jdoorly » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:56 pm

Oooo, ooooo can we have a members map? It might promote fleets and group cruises.
DS2 #6408 "Desperado"
jdoorly

Postby Alan » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:20 am

Good idea. Quite a fine idea, in fact. I'm smack in the middle of Silicon Valley (or the Santa Clara Valley, as we old-timers refer to it), about 45 minutes away from pnichols, who's over the hill in Santa Cruz.

Our freshwater sailing opportunities are severely limited. It'd be cool to know if anyone local to me has any ideas about where to put a boat in the water.
Alan

Re: Web Site Problem Reports and Suggestions

Postby jdoorly » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:13 am

Twice now I have finished a post and pressed preview and then clicked the return arrow on the browser only to find a blank editing box and my post gone. I assume the new software is a little different than the old in this process?
DS2 #6408 "Desperado"
jdoorly

Postby GreenLake » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:30 am

@jdoorly - this is usually an interaction between the browser and the forum software, and your mileage may vary depending on the combination. Hitting the back button is quite often not a safe operation, but, for example, I just tried that using Firefox (on Windows XP) and it preserved the draft text in my edit box.

As the edit box is also present on the preview page, there's no need to hit the back button at all if all you want is to edit the text some more after previewing what you have written so far.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jdoorly » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:09 pm

Thanks GL, on the old software it was possible to mistakenly recursively call the preview page and that would crash a post when several preview pages were active. I guess I got in the habit of hitting the "back" button from that. Will use the new software more forwardly...I guess I'm also feeling very adverbly today too!
DS2 #6408 "Desperado"
jdoorly

Postby GreenLake » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:44 am

I find the new page for editing quite useful - have in fact forgotten how the old one worked. :)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jpclowes » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:47 pm

Hi GL
The new BB looks great. But I have a question, is it possible to get back to the main page once you are deep in the forums? I can't find a link, and I hate to have to back up so far.
J .P. Clowes
Eastern Great Lakes Regional V.P.
DSI 14083
jpclowes

Postby GreenLake » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:59 pm

Bob did all the work in switching to the new software. In answer to your question, to get back to the top-level in the forum what you want to click on is "board index". However, there's a main site [url]daysailer.org[/url] which used to be accessible via the top bar across the page. Bob hasn't put that feature back in, because it requires editing some of the files. I know it's on his "list", but that list is long :) In the meantime, just make yourself a bookmark somewhere and you can get to there.

Another work-around: if your browser supports tabs, you could right click and select "open in new tab" when you first go into the forum, that way, getting back to the daysailer.org home page is as simple as switching tabs.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Thomasjbrothersjr » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:10 pm

I was unable to access the forums for a few / couple of days. When I clicked on the link this came up...

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php

I tried it from a few different platforms, Glad we're back!

TBone
"It's not the towering sail, but the unseen wind that moves the ship"

1983 O'Day Daysailer II "KALEIGH B"
Thomasjbrothersjr

Postby Alan » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:36 pm

Me too. If I had any doubts that this is my favorite website, not having it for the last couple of days removed them.
Alan

Postby jeadstx » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:11 pm

I really missed the forum while it was down. I could get into other parts of the DS site, just not the forum. I got the "fatal error" message as well.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby TIM WEBB » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:57 pm

Me 2!

- Instead of reading/sometimes replying to all the great, fun stuff here, I was relegated to looking at all that boring stuff on sailinganarchy.com ...

... JUST KIDDING SCOT!
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby Bob Hunkins » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:25 am

Apparently the forum was hacked. This happened after I had gone back to authenticating users myself, after complaints that some people found the process of authenticating themselves was too difficult. I received insulting emails saying this site was "worthless", along with other disparaging remarks.

I wish now I had not buckled to this hectoring, and realized it was a spammer. The IP address of this individual was from New England, so I assumed the person in question was simply uptight. It seems I was wrong. I have now returned the authentication to a user system where a new user will have to display a modicum of intelligence and click a few hyperlinks.

For anyone else who attempts in the future to sign up for this web site and cannot navigate the system: I'm sorry that you find it too difficult. You don't belong here. Go educate yourself on how to use a computer mouse, then come back. If you presume to insult me using email, I WILL publish your note to me here, along with your Email address for all the world to see.

Yes, I'm angry. I do not appreciate being harassed and perhaps suckered by people who for all I know may be spammers who expect me to spoon feed them on the basics of a web forum. Spend a little time reading for comprehension instead of coming to me first.

Most of you are polite, and well behaved. For that, I thank you. Sorry you have to read this.
Those who are not, well, I WILL ban you.
End of rant.
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby Alan » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:04 pm

So you tried to be nice to someone, even after they'd insulted you, and they responded with an adolescent sneaky trick? Yeah, I'd be annoyed too. OK, more than annoyed.

Thanks for all your hard work, Bob, and thanks for dealing with people who really ought to get a life.
Alan

Postby GreenLake » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:54 pm

In the process of updating the main website, the access to this forum was temporarily disabled as the links redirected to a different site.

Everything should be restored to full function right now, but let me know if any links to anything on the daysailer site or to parts of this forum no longer work for any reason.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

PreviousNext

Return to Forum Info and How To Use the Forum