Forum Moderation

General announcements and information specific to the DaySailer forums.

Moderator: GreenLake

Forum Moderation

Postby GreenLake » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:42 pm

Bob has apparently noticed that I spend too much time on this forum and drafted me to help him out as moderator.

There's not much here that's really in need of urgent attention and constant monitoring, but I'm happy to help by deleting the occasional spam and such like.

There's one thing though.

There are a few topics that have ended up under the "wrong" category. I believe the forum would be more useful as a resource if such topics were to be moved below a more fitting header (or subforum). Over the next weeks, I plan to gently sort through some of the more recent threads and re-classify them, if needed. So, if you are looking for the discussion on tabernacles, you'll now find it under "Repairs and Improvements", to give just one example. Let me know if this causes any problems.

Those should be the most visible changes, otherwise, the forum has been served well by Bob's rather light touch and I'm not about to change that.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby hectoretc » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:21 pm

Congrats on your promotion. I'm assuming you got a big raise for taking this on (like twice what you were getting paid before?)
DS #6127 - Breakin' Wind - From the land of 10,000 lakes, which spend 80% of the year frozen it seems...
hectoretc

Postby jdoorly » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:42 pm

Congrats Greenlake.

Other forums I've seen have been able to leave a 'stub' when moving a thread. The stub simple gives the thread name and the fact that it was moved to_______. Es possible, si?
DS2 #6408 "Desperado"
jdoorly

Postby jdubes » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:33 am

I'm used to it taking a 100 days for someone to assess a new job to recommend changes. Your making everyone look bad, slow down pace yourself. :) Congrats!
jdubes

Postby GreenLake » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:14 pm

jdubes wrote:I'm used to it taking a 100 days for someone to assess a new job to recommend changes. Your making everyone look bad, slow down pace yourself. :) Congrats!

Thanks!
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:46 pm

jdoorly wrote:Other forums I've seen have been able to leave a 'stub' when moving a thread. The stub simple gives the thread name and the fact that it was moved to_______. Es possible, si?

Sure, if people feel that's helpful. But, presumably, the stub wouldn't have to be maintained forever?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:19 am

I've made some more "moves", let me know if you see issues. I moved two threads into the "Fleets/Locations" forum, because they were about sailing in or meeting in a particular area. And I'd like to move a few more threads that discuss technical topics common to all models of the DS into the appropriate generic forum (Repair, rigging or sails).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby K.C. Walker » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:08 am

Green Lake,

Thanks for doing this! We will all try to be good so that you don't have too much extra work to do.

See what happens when you break 1000 posts... you get a prize!
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby algonquin » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:12 pm

Moderation is good !! :)
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Postby K.C. Walker » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:15 pm

I guess we are old-timers, as I think the latest fashion is EXTREME.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby GreenLake » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:15 am

algonquin wrote:Moderation is good !! :)

Nice one.

And thanks to K.C. as well. Hope you'll be happy with my attempts at moderate moderation.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Alan » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:25 pm

For what it's worth, I'm happy with it. The only change I've noticed is the disappearance of that spam from yesterday. And I agree with you that it's a good idea to put threads where they can be found later.

Oh, yeah, and let me add my congratulations on the new position.
Alan

Not the answer man

Postby GreenLake » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:55 pm

There's been a spate of private messages to me recently with detailed questions on various subjects. I love to help out, but unless the question is about moderation or off-topic to the forum or in some way related to me personally, I'd rather see it asked out on the forum.

As a moderator, if you post a question in the wrong area, I can fix it. If you post something inappropriate, I can remove it for you. But if I get a private message, I can't turn it into a post for you - others won't be able to chime in with better answers, and any answer I give won't have a chance to be seen by others who might find it helpful.

Being a moderator gives me no better insight into the Daysailer - in fact, others are far more knowledgeable in many, if not most, aspects of buying, equipping, fixing and sailing a DS.

I'm interested in making this forum a place for detailed discussions which hopefully help not only the person asking at the moment, but also people who just join to read. For most questions there isn't a single "best" answer, so having multiple perspectives is useful.

So, if in doubt, trust the process and post your question as a new topic in whatever subforum looks best for the purpose.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: Forum Moderation

Postby GreenLake » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:16 pm

Our new webmaster, Molly Flanagan, has given me access to the full suite of forum administration tools. That means I can now help straighten out user accounts, and such. In principle, that means I'm also able to rearrange the furniture a bit if there was a general desire for that. We are perhaps a bit fine-grained in splitting "sails" from "rigging" for example, but it's not a huge issue.

More likely, what will happen is that as Molly changes the home page to become a full service site, the DSA sponsored events like the Nationals or fleet events, including registration and results could be managed there. At that point, we would need to revisit these areas in the forum.

In the meantime I'm trying to help her out in her efforts in linking the forum to the new home page she is building so that forum and home page become an integrated presence.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: Forum Moderation

Postby Baysailer » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:56 pm

First off an appreciation for both greenlakes and molly for the volunteer effort they put into this forum and the class website. I check the forum pretty much every day and the web site is the main landing site for both coordinating and advertising events and a major promotional advertisement for people window shopping. I did see the new site before Molly pulled it to do some more tuning and thought it painted a good picture for the DS. It will be a major upgrade when she sets it to the daysailer.org url.

Fred B
Baysailer

Next

Return to Forum Info and How To Use the Forum