Image corruption?

General announcements and information specific to the DaySailer forums.

Moderator: GreenLake

Image corruption?

Postby GreenLake » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:10 pm

A few weeks before the forum was redone, I noticed that many of the images in the album arrived corrupted when I tried to view them. Here's what I see: the little thumbnail works fine, but when I click on it, I get to see only the top half of the image.

The change to the new gallery software did not fix this for me, and it happens in both browsers I use. I have no problems accessing images from anywhere else one the web.

I would like to find out whether others have this problem, so I've put a thumbnail up for one of the images that appears corrupted. Please click on it and try it out and report in a reply to this post whether it's OK or corrupted for you.

If the image was OK, please go into the gallery (link in the light blue bar above, next to the "eye" icon) and try some other pictures and report the results.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: Image corruption?

Postby Alan » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:11 pm

GreenLake,

I clicked on the thumbnail in your post and several gallery images. All of them promptly turned into complete full-sized images. This includes my bowsprit photo in the gallery. I remember you mentioned that some of my newer photos were corrupted.

I'm using Firefox, if that tells you anything.
Alan

Postby brucybaby » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:15 pm

GL, All images seem to work fine on my PC, as long as I'm logged in to the site. Otherwise I get corruptions. BTW, I'm using Google Chrome Version 23.0.1271.95 m
Bruce
'71 Oday DS2-Dashaway: Hull# 25873 Class# 4842
Ray Twp., MI
Pics: http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... =slideshow
Vids: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL60647F9C03EAE28A
brucybaby

Postby Alan » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:27 pm

I get something similar to brucybaby. When I'm not logged in (tried it just now) I get a circle/slash and "You are not authorised to view this image". When I'm logged in, the images work just fine.
Alan

Postby Bob Hunkins » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:20 pm

You need to be logged in to see the images.
The images have worked fine for me and I've used IE, and safari. Will try firefox later.
Bob Hunkins
#11750, "Surprise"
San Leon, Texas
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby GreenLake » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:32 pm

I'm glad images work for many people. They used to work fine for me, like I wrote, until about a week or two before the forum's makeover - that means this problem is not caused by the upgrade.

I have not changed browsers, other than the usual constant security upgrades, nor have I changed the OS version (XP), ISP or network setup nor have I changed anything else that I can remember, yet both FF (latest) and IE (8) fail for me in the same way. I am logged on (and so far I get the full image for the "must be logged on" warning, if I don't).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Bob Hunkins » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:40 pm

Do you get the same problem on other Bulletin boards or other situations? Not sure how to troubleshoot this one...
Bob Hunkins
#11750, "Surprise"
San Leon, Texas
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby GreenLake » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:04 pm

I just tried on Safari on a Mac that's on the same network/ISP and I do not get the problem.

I also have no problems viewing images on the other computer - the only thing I can't try is loading an image from some other phpBB style forum, because I'm not a member in any that have a gallery. My suspicion at the moment is running towards some sort of "timeout" effect, which is the only thing that I can think of that's common to both browsers on the same machine - and - which would have the same tendency of not being 100% reproducible, but only 80-90% and which is what I observe.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:50 pm

Having isolated the issue to my machine, I disabled Kaspersky Web Antivirus protection and that made the problem appear go away. (This isn't a safe, long-term solution)

As such software gets updated regularly, it would explain why this problem suddenly showed up. There is still a mystery why it only affects loading images from the Daysailer.org site. I still suspect a "timeout" problem, because the anti-virus scan for the images would slow down loading it.

Bob, do you use a "slow" connection for your server, such as a DSL line with lower uplink speed?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Breakin Wind » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:36 pm

GreenLake wrote:Having isolated the issue to my machine, I disabled Kaspersky Web Antivirus protection and that made the problem appear go away. (This isn't a safe, long-term solution)

As such software gets updated regularly, it would explain why this problem suddenly showed up. There is still a mystery why it only affects loading images from the Daysailer.org site. I still suspect a "timeout" problem, because the anti-virus scan for the images would slow down loading it.

Bob, do you use a "slow" connection for your server, such as a DSL line with lower uplink speed?

Hi GL,

I think it's your computers gentle way of telling you it wants to retire and you should start training a replacement. Either that or it wants a new baby brother...
Breakin Wind

Postby Cavofficer6 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:03 pm

Greenlake: Like most, if I try to view the images when I'm a guest, the image is corrupted. When I log on, I can see them just fine.
DS#5700 - "The Daysteeler"
Cavofficer6

Postby TIM WEBB » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:20 pm

Thanks for using one of my pics as an example GL!

Everything seems to be normal on my end (XP at work and Windows 7 at home, both with IE). Might be a silly ?, but do you have any of your browsers set to zoom?

One thing I have noticed between the old and the new forum format is that with the old one, I used to have to log in at least two times before I was actually logged in, even if I checked the "log me in every time" box. Now, it logs me in automatically every time ... ?
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:47 pm

TIM WEBB wrote:Thanks for using one of my pics as an example GL!

You're welcome.
TIM WEBB wrote:Everything seems to be normal on my end (XP at work and Windows 7 at home, both with IE). Might be a silly ?, but do you have any of your browsers set to zoom?

I run them at different zoom settings, nothing constant.
What makes the difference is whether that AV program is running or not, using whatever zoom settings are in effect.
Finally, the files are corrupted, it's not just the display thereof - that can be seen when I do a "save image as...".
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:41 pm

Hmmm ... weird. Have you tried deleting cookies since the "new" DS.org came online?
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:40 am

TIM WEBB wrote:Hmmm ... weird. Have you tried deleting cookies since the "new" DS.org came online?

The problem showed up a short time before you (I believe it was you) posted the image of the Bounty. That was well before the forum upgrade. (I remember, because that image was one the first to "fail" of those I tried and I was disappointed that I couldn't view it).

Turning off AV scanning for the website fixes the problem, enabling AV scanning brings the problem back. So I think I know what causes it, not sure why it's an issue only for the DS forum and none of the many other sites I visit.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Next

Return to Forum Info and How To Use the Forum