Day Sailer Association Membership Drive

General announcements and information specific to the DaySailer forums.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Day Sailer Association Membership Drive

Postby jeadstx » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:39 pm

Couldn't the Association create a PayPal accout tied into their bank account?

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby GreenLake » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:59 pm

Just giving my personal take on this I am afraid that the DSA may be at risk of missing what you might call a generational shift. The current system has served the organization for a long, long time, and among current members there isn't a great push to do something different, because everyone who is a current member had to find a way to come to an arrangement with the current system.

Also, for the subset of the most active members, the set that races in fleets and/or attends the Nationals, the task of printing a form or mailing a check is the least of the issues - think registrations, measurements, certificates and all that.

However, I would like for the DSA to engage with and capitalize on the resurgent interest in the DS that we see here on the forum, where the only interaction that people have with other DSA members is along the electronic life-line of the forum -- which, in a few cases has lead to face-to-face meetings as well.

I have raised this issue a number of times offline with various people, but the response has been a bit mixed; there is some openness towards electronic payments, but no conclusive results (see the post from @dssec from January). Above I used the term "generational shift" deliberately, because I have noticed that the attitudes towards paper-based transactions are shifting. It would be really unfortunate if that were to turn into a barrier that prevents "new blood" from joining and supporting the DSA.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:05 pm

Status update: Just exchanged some messages with @dssec and they are actively working on setting up something in time for the annual membership renewal later this year.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Previous

Return to Forum Info and How To Use the Forum