Deleting Images

General announcements and information specific to the DaySailer forums.

Moderator: GreenLake

Deleting Images

Postby rnlivingston » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:22 pm

I cannot delete any pictures in my personal albums. It keeps telling me I am not authorized.
Roger Livingston
DS 6872
Mariner 4096
rnlivingston

Re: Deleting Images

Postby GreenLake » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:53 pm

Why do you want to delete any of them?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby rnlivingston » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:29 pm

I have some items for sale and have sold them. The pictures are no longer relevant.
Roger Livingston
DS 6872
Mariner 4096
rnlivingston

Postby GreenLake » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:46 am

Sounds like a good reason.

I checked, I can delete images in my personal album (there's an "edit" button and a small 'x' next to it, same as for my posts). When I used the x it asked me for confirmation, but did delete the test image.

However, I can't delete any images for you. The moderator tools are enabled for some reason only for my own images, where they are redundant, because I can edit the description and delete my own images already with the standard user interface. I know that other users have, at times, deleted images from their galleries, unfortunately often ones that did have thumbnails in some post or other, so I'm not sure why it won't let you (you did make sure that your were logged in, when you tried this, correct?).

Can you edit the descriptions? If so, you could just mark them as being no longer relevant.

In the future, perhaps the best thing would be to use a picture hosting service for temporary images, and save the gallery for those images that should stick around because they illustrate something in a post.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby rnlivingston » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:37 am

Thanks for your help. I was using the wrong method for deleting. The X next to edit works.
Roger Livingston
DS 6872
Mariner 4096
rnlivingston

Postby GreenLake » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:59 pm

Glad it worked for you.

For anyone else contemplating image deletion from the gallery: Please don't delete images that you have linked to a post (or that others have linked to a post).

(There's a 100 image limit for anybody's gallery, which means it's best to use the gallery for the most important images).

There are two mechanisms for posting images now that do not use the gallery. One is to link an image via the "Img" command. This works for external images where the link ends in .jpg (or some other image extension).

The last method is "attachment" to the post itself. The downside of that is that the image ends up in a window with scroll bars, however, it keeps the image with the post and works best for those images that you are never going to use outside that context.

For example items for sale.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Forum Info and How To Use the Forum