Sub-Forum for Cruising?

General announcements and information specific to the DaySailer forums.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Sub-Forum for Cruising?

Postby GreenLake » Tue May 10, 2016 8:31 pm

I've moved this suggestion from its original location into this new thread, so we can discuss specifically whether we want a change to the forum itself, and what form that should take.

For now, until we settle whether we want a subforum on cruising, I suggest, @shagbark, that you post a new thread in the "miscellaneous" section, making sure that the subject line contains "Cruising". In that, you could ask your questions about cruising tips and details and see whether others would like to join the discussion.

If this starts a good discussion and we see enough interest, it could turn into the seed for a new section.

On a related note, I have long thought that "Sails" and "Rigging" are too fine grained to have their own sub-forums (and many posts go between the two topics -- they are pretty close). I think they would work just as well if merged, which would "free up" a slot. (Yes, I know, there's not actually a hard limit, but having too many sub-forums is unwieldy). What do others feel? Should we combine these, irrespective of whether we add a cruising sub-forum?

We have some older discussions on cruising and cruising related modifications. Perhaps there's interest to locate them and bring them together under a new "roof" so to speak? I'm not volunteering to do the search, but I can help out with moving topics at some point. For now, for anyone interested in getting the ball rolling, you could create a thread under "miscellaneous" named "Old Cruising-related topics" and collect a list of links pointing to existing older, but still useful, topics in the forum.

Finally, I'm always happy to move a topic to a more "fitting" subforum - except that I normally focus on the more recent topics. I'm open to suggestions in specific cases. We've had some wide-ranging discussions recently that were started by default in the section for DS1, DS2 or DS3, but some are really about specific topics, so I'll accept nominations for better locations or suggestions for splitting topics (extracting a sub-discussion so the info in it can be located more easily later).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Baysailer » Tue May 10, 2016 9:48 pm

My 2 cents worth. I like the idea of a separate topic category for cruising and daysailing. I read most all the posts but always look forward to Tim Webb, Talbot and others that are more centric to what I do or would like to do. I am a daysailer only but could see cruising in a DS as fun. For me daysailing is ending where I started while cruising is a trip often with overnights.

Fred
Baysailer

Postby powpowhunter » Fri May 13, 2016 11:25 am

I'd like to see a Cruising sub-forum. I think that would be nice symmetry to the racing sub-forum.
I think separate threads for sails and rigging should remain. I disagree that more subforums is a bad thing, although I don't have to administrate them. I think the best way to find things is through a google site search, so I think more specificity in the treads is better than less when just browsing.
I think if you wanted to combine threads it could be the Events and Results threads. They're not much used, and closely related.
Just my 2¢
-Tyler
1977 DS2 #8389 "Tidenaut"
powpowhunter

Postby GreenLake » Sun May 15, 2016 9:38 pm

I've gone ahead and created a new forum for Cruising. The suggestion to eliminate the Race Results forum was an excellent one: these results are now maintained on the main site, so what we had here, was simply an "archive". (I moved that over into the Events forum, which remains open for the discussion of any event, whether DSA sponsored or not, in which there is participation of interest to the forum.)

Let's see who will be the first to start off discussion in the new forum!
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Forum Info and How To Use the Forum