Posting images

General announcements and information specific to the DaySailer forums.

Moderator: GreenLake

Posting images

Postby tinafred » Wed May 18, 2016 5:38 pm

I am so sorry, but I read theFAQ and posting images section but I am still lost. To begin with I am understanding that one has to take their images from the home PC to a public ste. I do not understand. This appears above my pay grade and I probably will not be able to post images. Sorry.
tinafred

Re: Posting images

Postby DigitalMechanic » Wed May 18, 2016 8:28 pm

Images can only be 256Kb which is relatively small compared to the size/detail your phone would take. Unless you own Adobe Photoshop and know how to use it, you have to be little creative. I have used Facebook as a quick and dirty way to compress images. Basically I created an album that was private (only I could see it), and upload my photos there first. Facebook will automatically shrink/compress their size. Then you can re-download them from Facebook and upload them to the forum (well in most cases they come out under 256kb).

I know this seems like going a bit out of the way, but unfortunately the forum does not have a compression feature built into the image uploader.
DigitalMechanic

Postby GreenLake » Wed May 18, 2016 8:43 pm

For PCs there is free software called "Resize My Photos" that allows you to resize the image. For the forum, you want to use something like 800 or so for the longest edge, and you want to set the quality to "medium". That usually makes files that are small enough (and that also fit will within the size of a post or gallery slot).

Perhaps others have some favorite tricks to contribute?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby tinafred » Wed May 18, 2016 9:10 pm

Thanks a lot for all the help. Just as in other post, a picture truly is worth a thousand words when you don't know the lingo yet.
tinafred

Postby TIM WEBB » Wed May 18, 2016 9:49 pm

Windows Paint comes with just about every MS PC or laptop out there, and is a very easy photo re-sizer (is that a Word? It is now!)
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Return to Forum Info and How To Use the Forum