finding a teacher

General announcements and information specific to the DaySailer forums.

Moderator: GreenLake

finding a teacher

Postby halfseas » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:25 pm

Hello I'm new to the site and new to sailing. I have in the last 2 weeks acquired 2 sail boats. Both day sailors, they almost look like twins. One is a O'Day II 1971 and the other is a Sunfish Laser Inc Daysailor. I want to learn to sail and I'm looking for someone near by that has a few minutes to spare. I live in Vineland NJ 08360, and in the winter we live in Tarpon Springs Fl 34689. Anyone close by?
Thanks Tim
halfseas

Re: finding a teacher

Postby GreenLake » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:00 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Most people new to sailing don't start by buying an entire fleet :)

Learning to sail is one of those things. The necessary skills to get out on the water aren't that difficult to acquire - some people manage to figure those out on their own. Others read up a bit first. If they are smart and cautious, they keep the wind in a range where things are easy to manage, say up to 8 knots (9mph) and don't head for waters full of traffic or challenging (tidal or river) currents. Within those parameters things should be forgiving enough to allow self-study.

Having someone talk you through this, and demonstrate the maneuvers does make the process go more smoothly, but it's going to take someone more than a few minutes of their time. A long afternoon for the barest minimum, I'd say. Depending on how much handholding you are after, figure the equivalent of a full weekend, perhaps spread out.

That would get you to the level where you can get your boat from point A to point B under sail. You'll quickly find that the combinations of wind and waves are endless and that learning never stops. You'll always learn something new, and that's one of the reasons people find sailing fun. Most of that learning you'll do yourself, but it doesn't hurt to spend some winter evenings reading and re-reading whatever books and other materials you can get your hands on. Also, at some point, past basic learning, reaching out to tap some experienced sailor for additional input will be useful.

Good luck to you in finding someone in your area. Have your checked on http://daysailer.org whether there's a DS fleet in your area? In the meantime, you could do worse than going and reading through the older posts here on this forum. Not all are about centerboard cables and motor mounts. :shock:
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jeadstx » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:28 am

Be easy on him Greenlake, some of us have "fleets".

There are several people on this forum that live in Florida and sail Day Sailers. Another source you may want to contact is the West Coast Trailer Sailer Squadron (WCTSS), A few of the DS sailors are part of that group in Florida (West Coast, is the west coast of Florida not to be confused with that other west coast). They do monthly sailing trips along the coast of Florida. http://members.ij.net/wctss/wctss/ If you look at some of their event photos you will see Day Sailers.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby GreenLake » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:43 pm

John, had a look on http://daysailer.org/Fleets and it appears there are no fleets in the Eastern region (NJ+parts of NY and PA). But I know we've had forum members who posted from that area in the past. Perhaps someone will come along here, in response.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:03 pm

@halfseas. I somehow missed the fact that you alternate between summer and winter locations, even though you state that quite clearly. So you bought two identical boats so you can keep one at each place? Interesting idea.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:33 pm

GreenLake wrote:John, had a look on http://daysailer.org/Fleets and it appears there are no fleets in the Eastern region (NJ+parts of NY and PA). But I know we've had forum members who posted from that area in the past. Perhaps someone will come along here, in response.

Um, GL, by "fleet" I believe John was referring to a personal collection of more than one DS, O'Day boat, or any boat for that matter ... ;-P

I had my own personal "fleet" for a brief period of time earlier this year, after I bought the RS22 but still had the DS. That was quite short lived tho ...
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:51 am

Yeah, I know how it goes, fleets just grow. I now own six boats, but only three of them are sailboats of any description... but John, to his credit not only owns a personal fleet but was very active in creating the other kind of fleet as well.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby nacknakk » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:56 pm

Tim (halfseas),
Not sure where near by is. Did a search on Sailing Schools close to both Vinland and Tarpon Springs with plenty of hits.
However, in my neighborhood, in my opinion, the best way to learn to sail is with the Cal Sailing Club; a non-profit, volunteer-run sailing club. It’s inexpensive and includes lessons, equipment use and other activities “free” to members. For an idea of its services, its URL is: [url]cal-sailing.org[/url]. That site has information that is important to beginners, including sailing fundamentals and rules. There are videos. Activate the Resources header for details. You would do well to find something similar in your area.
Many Daysailer fleets are associated with sailing clubs. Some are so darn fine it’s ridiculous. I’m privileged to belong to one: Morro Bay Yacht Club, which also hosts Daysailer Fleet 128 (the largest) and offers highly regarded and affordable sailing lessons to anyone during the summer. Finding a similar "home" is in your best interests.
Caution: in the 60’s as a member of the predecessor to the Cal Sailing Club, I discovered that I couldn’t teach sailing. There was a gap between my instincts and my ability to explain what to do. Thus my interest in your query. Find a teacher with REFERENCES!
Welcome to the DSA.
nacknakk

Return to Forum Info and How To Use the Forum