Had a pretty wild cruise this weekend

Where you've been or where you'd like to go. Trip reports or thoughts on how to plan and prepare for a cruise. (A memorable or challenging Daysail totally counts).
Organized cruises events: use the Events forum.
General info on Cruising grounds are found in Fleets/Locations.

Moderator: GreenLake

Had a pretty wild cruise this weekend

Postby zeroready » Sun May 02, 2021 9:35 pm

The weather forecast looked awesome. Clear skies, 8 mph wind, perfect day to take the family out to the sandbar to go swimming. As soon as I got the boat rigged up and I was waiting on my wife and kids to get to the marina, I started feeling a few raindrops. Still pretty clear skies though so didn't think much of it. So we got underway, about 10 minutes into the trip the wind dies, a storm parks right over us, and buckets of rain just dumped on us for about 20 minutes. No thunder or lightning thank Poseidon. But I mean gallons of water just coming down right on top of us out of no where. The first time it's rained here in Key West in like 3 months. The kids hid in the cuddy, my wife and I just sat there drinking our beverages in totally still air with the cockpit filling up with water looking at each other like wtf. So we turned the motor on, pumped out the cockpit, and powered through the storm. When we got to the sandbar we were on the other side of it, had a great time swimming, the storm stayed away from that point on, but we could still see it out in the distance. Until my wife and daughter got stung by a giant dead jellyfish. My son and I were right there and somehow we didn't get stung. Nothing too serious, but pretty painful for my daughter. So that pretty much wrapped up our outing for the day. But everyone came out just fine. My new mainsheet block held fast. Definitely one of those days that I will always remember.

zeroready

Re: Had a pretty wild cruise this weekend

Postby Fly4rfun » Sun May 02, 2021 10:04 pm

Sounds like a adventure to remember. I just mowed Grass, about 3 acres worth
"Sail Aweigh" 1966 DS1 #2675
Fly4rfun

Postby GreenLake » Sun May 02, 2021 10:50 pm

"But we survived!" is always a good way to end a sea story!
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby zeroready » Tue May 04, 2021 5:42 pm

GreenLake wrote:"But we survived!" is always a good way to end a sea story!

The only way to end a sea story.
zeroready

Return to Cruising and Daysailing