boom tent size

Where you've been or where you'd like to go. Trip reports or thoughts on how to plan and prepare for a cruise. (A memorable or challenging Daysail totally counts).
Organized cruises events: use the Events forum.
General info on Cruising grounds are found in Fleets/Locations.

Moderator: GreenLake

boom tent size

Postby bflosail » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:53 pm

what would be the appropriate size for a boom tent for a DS 1 would cover fro cockpit aft

thank you :D
bflosail

Re: boom tent size

Postby Baysailer » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:09 pm

I just loosely measured mine and it is 80" front 90" mid and 80" back and 110" long. It was actually for my Rhodes 19 but it fits the DS too. I got it from a canvas shop in your town, I think service canvas in buffalo. I'd recommend them. On the cheap I have used 8x10 tarps as well, they're more like 7.5'x9.5' finished.

Fred
Baysailer

Postby bflosail » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:12 am

Thank you how would attach the tarp ? :D
bflosail

Postby Baysailer » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:24 am

I got short bungees (with the coated hooks) and looped/luggage tagged through the grommet holes. Hooked these over the rubrail seam. If you can find a 7x9 or 7x10 it would work better for the DS.
Baysailer

Postby talbot » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:59 pm

Yeah. What Baysailor said.

That setup is easy to adjust if you have a topping lift. The boom can be at any height to suit the tarp. It's more of a hassle of the tarp is too big than if it is too small.

Some of those tarps do not have grommets placed where you could use the to pull the apex of the tarp taught to the mast and end of the boom.
I cut some triangular patches from an old blue tarp and used them to reinforce the tarp-tent at the apex, then set a couple of grommets through the patches.
talbot

Postby BaronDaniels » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:46 pm

talbot wrote:That setup is easy to adjust if you have a topping lift. The boom can be at any height to suit the tarp. It's more of a hassle of the tarp is too big than if it is too small

I see, so it must be just the right size for it to be easy to set up.
BaronDaniels

Return to Cruising and Daysailing