Cruising Mileage Logs

Posts on how to plan and prepare for a cruise as well as posts reporting on cruises. (Daysailing with interesting destination counts). Organized cruises may better fit the Events forum and general discussions of cruising grounds are found in Fleets/Locations.

Moderator: GreenLake

Cruising Mileage Logs

Postby rrcrazy » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:37 pm

Hi everyone!

Do you keep track of how much you sail each year? Do you keep a log of destinations, distances, etc.? If so, I’m interested in hearing from you!

I’m developing a Daysailer Mileage Program. We would recognize you for how much you sail on a particular year, as well as lifetime benchmarks.

In order to set some benchmarks, I’m looking for some numbers of what you do over the course of a season/year.

Thanks in advance!

Dan Mejak
rrcrazy

Re: Cruising Mileage Logs

Postby GreenLake » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:44 pm

I've kept and am still keeping a log for my DS. When I got it, it was so much bigger than the tiny boat I sailed before that it felt like a "BIG" boat and that meant that keeping some sort of log seemed natural.

I ended up making a few hundred mostly smaller trips over the years, many without having a GPS. Therefore, I don't have a good mileage count, but from the log I know that I've taken almost 100 different people sailing over the years. I also know that I managed 16.111111 outings a year, on average, and the log preserves some interesting moments for posterity, both fun and scary ones.

Early on, I thought I would go on more destination trips, but instead, I've enjoyed the boat mostly for an afternoon's escape on the water, or a sunset cruise. The amount of night sailing I do is perhaps not average. Last summer marked the first time I arrived late enough to head home from the boat launch at sunrise.

My favorite destination cruises are to places I can dock the boat and either grab some food or join a party. Those allow me to combine the best of both worlds, by combining an otherwise pleasurable experience with being out on the water.

After a number of years of true daysailing, with a few slightly longer excursions, I added beer-can racing. Mostly enjoying the way scheduled events prompt me to go out on the water more regularly. I still fit in a few unscheduled outings, and taken together, they help me get enough use of the DS.

I also used the log, in the early years, to keep track of expenses. After noticing how cheap it is to keep a DS afloat, I don't bother with that any more.

Finally, the longest trip I ever took in a DS was as crew on a friend's boat, doing the Texas 200. (By now, most of my personal sailing miles have probably been on other people's boats and not DaySailers).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Cruising